New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

I like MplayerX but it struggles with basic .MP4 files

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MDJCM

MDJCM is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2009 13" MBP with SSD

It quickly gets massive audio sync issues, the sound keeps going but the picture falls way behind until it just doesnt make sense.

Anyone seen this or, what general media player do you use?
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

VLC is a popular choice - it's cross platform, plays just about anything and it's free. It can also play YouTube videos (shameless blog promotion).

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
MDJCM

I've heard of VLC for years but I don't like how they've worked very little on the interface, MPlayerX is generations ahead in terms of simplicity and usability. I always found that strange :-/
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Have you tried VLC 2? They did a major overall on the interface.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
MDJCM

Just gave it a shot, you're right that is a much nicer interface than the old one, had to re-program the hotkeys to do the obvious (left and right arrow = 10 sec skips). Does handle the MP4 without picture delays so far.

BUT, it does have a strange "200Hz" effect that make my videos look different and cheaper. Its like that \soap-opera' effect you get on some of the gimmicky modes on new TVs. Looking for a way to turn that off, as the same videos on MPlayer look cinematic in comparison.
QUOTE Thanks
Bad Cyborg

Bad Cyborg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDJCM View Post
It quickly gets massive audio sync issues, the sound keeps going but the picture falls way behind until it just doesnt make sense.

Anyone seen this or, what general media player do you use?
Sound like you have a very old Mac, or you have some very messed up files. MPlayerX runs fine for (I think) all of us. What's the specs of your Mac? And have you tried Movist? Unlike others, I don't like VLC for its keyboard shortcuts (needing 2 keys to adjust volume is unacceptable) and picture quality.
QUOTE Thanks
MDJCM

2.26Ghz C2D, 4GB ram @ 1067mhz

SSD running the OS, media is played from 1TB HDD internal. Its odd because MPlayer OSX is spot on, but MPlayerX has issues.

The files are just regular ~120mb .MP4 files of rips of daily show etc
QUOTE Thanks
MDJCM

Hmm, MPlayerX still has this issue
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac Capture Card to get screenshots off Wii? | iMovie looooong wait »