New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

MackBook Pro 13" or 15" for best Video Editing Performance

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

macksmo

macksmo is on a distinguished road

Hello! I am looking to purchase a MacBook Pro for my business. My husband and I are launching an online community where we'll be shooting 10 videos per week and uploading them onto our website. Half the videos will be longer (20-40 minutes with no editing) and the others will be 5-10 minutes with more editing involved I think. I have been a PC user all my life, but it was recommended to me to get a Mac if my business was going to based within video editing.
I was looking at a MacBook Pro 13" or 15" and wasn't sure which (if either) would be a better option. I really have no clue which to get based on my needs, so would love any suggestions! The Apple Store guy said the basic 13" MacBook Pro would be fine, but wanted to get a second opinion. Also looking to get a refurbished one. Thanks in advance for your help!
QUOTE Thanks
MightyGem

MightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. White MacBook, 10.8.5. iPhone 3GS.

If you are doing a lot of video, I would think that the bigger screen would be an advantage. However, is the increase in performance(whatever it is in real terms) between the 13" and 15" worth the extra cost? It might be worth considering buying the 13" and spending the xtra cash on a 19/21" monitor to go with it.
QUOTE Thanks
Deckyon

Deckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM

Keep in mind - you can never upgrade the processor or video card after you buy the laptop. Ever.

Get the best processor and video card you can afford, even at the expense of a larger hard drive and more RAM. HD's and RAM can be easily upgraded after the fact.

Get the best processor and video card you can afford. Always. And with editing video, it will be noticeable the moment you start getting into syncing multiple cuts/cameras/audio.

MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB RAM
MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB RAM
iPhone 5S 64GB, iPad Air 2 128 GB LTE, iPod Nano Gen6 8GB, Apple TV 3 & 2
QUOTE Thanks
macksmo

macksmo is on a distinguished road

Thank you both for your responses!

Deckyon -- if I was looking at the information for any given laptop, where does it list the processors & video card information? And could you give me an example of a "low end" vs. "high end" one? Sorry, this is all new to me, but I really appreciate your help thus far! And so really, screen size isn't too imperative (relatively speaking), but moreso the later two, right?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMovie Export Sound Issue | Having Trouble With iMovie »