New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

File extensions - iMovie

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

naf536

naf536 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27-inch: 2.7GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 2560 x 1440 resolution 4GB (two 2GB) memory 1TB hard drive

Hi all, I made my first DVD yesterday with some footage of some of the shows we had seen on holiday.

The file on the DVD disc at present only plays with quicktime which wouldnt play on the DVD player at the in laws resulting in having to watch it on a laptop.

Can the files be converted so that they play on a standard DVD player ?

Also, can you group the movies on a DVD and add a menu ? (I googled for this and it said to use iDVD but that program is not available on the lion osx)

Any help would be greatly appreciated
QUOTE Thanks
MightyGem

MightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. White MacBook, 10.8.5. iPhone 3GS.

It sounds like all you've done is burn a QT movie file to a dvd. In that case, as you've found, it won't play in a dvd player, only on a computer.

To produce a playable dvd, you will need either Burn,
Burn - Home
which is free, or Toast,
Roxio Toast 11 Titanium - CD & DVD Burning for Mac
which isn't.

If you fancy Toast, I'd buy it from the US site by download where it is so much cheaper.
http://www.roxio.com/enu/products/toast/titanium/
QUOTE Thanks
naf536

Mac Specs: 27-inch: 2.7GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 2560 x 1440 resolution 4GB (two 2GB) memory 1TB hard drive

Thanks for the reply and the links, will have to give the Toast a miss for now, its too soon after buying the mac, I need to recover still. lol

I tried Burn last night and it did create a DVD that would play on various players, it put its own menu on the disc which was good just looked a little rough. If I can get the menu screen altered to my own then Burn will be perfect for me

I did also download a copy of iDVD09 last night but it seems it will only allow m4v format which only seems to play in quick time, not sure if it converts the files when you burn to disc as I didn't get that far.

Its a real shame that they don't include a menu maker any more with the Lion Osx, not everyone wants to share their videos to the cloud and in this case, parents and grandparents only just about know what a DVD is let alone internet based sharing services.

Anyway, thanks for the information, it worked to get the holiday videos on the DVD so that others can watch it now.
QUOTE Thanks
MightyGem

MightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. White MacBook, 10.8.5. iPhone 3GS.

If you've installed iDVD, then you should be able to Share from iMovie's Share menu.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

I have to point out that YouTube (Vimeo, et al) all offer an option to upload videos and mark them "private" so that only people you give the password to can view them. WAY easier than the hassle of making and mailing DVDs.
QUOTE Thanks
naf536

I can see the point of making all media available online, your right it is much easier and cheaper than processing DVD's, however the people who will be watching the videos are not computer type people and would not know where to start with looking online for the media.

I have deleted the DVD09 program from the mac as it didnt seem to work correctly or not as i would have liked anyway.

I ended up using Burn to create my disk but even then, the menu that i created for the disc was a little poor.

If everyone just bought a mac then i would have no problems but as it is everyone wants to watch the videos on their TV's.
QUOTE Thanks
naf536

I managed to get Roxio Toast 11 Titanium today for just $50 through an on-line deal.

Can't wait to get home and download it so that I can try again to make my videos look more professional
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naf536 View Post
I managed to get Roxio Toast 11 Titanium today for just $50 through an on-line deal.

Can't wait to get home and download it so that I can try again to make my videos look more professional
I find Toast to be a pretty nice little program with better menus than burn but NOWHERE near as good as the menus in iDVD. Still, it's serviceable on the menus and excellent in most other areas.
QUOTE Thanks
MightyGem

Quote:
I find Toast to be a pretty nice little program with better menus than burn but NOWHERE near as good as the menus in iDVD.
Have to agree with that. I was rather disappointed for something that in the UK, you can pay 85 for. Like the OP though, I got mine at a discount from a US site.
QUOTE Thanks
naf536

I had a little play with the Toast software when i got home last night and I must admit, it impressed me, it did exactly what I was looking to do with my holiday video footage and photos and worked seamlessly.

Thanks for all the contribution in the thread
QUOTE Thanks
bgranttech

bgranttech is on a distinguished road

VideoLAN - VLC: Official site - Free multimedia solutions for all OS! This will help read all different types of media files.

Let me know if that helps!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Un-edited iMovie files to disc | What specifications should I use in mpeg stream clip to convert avi for iMovie? »