New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Backup IMovie Project

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

altyson

altyson is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: G5 DP 1.8 160 Super Drive 17 " Display

Is there a way, other than just leaving on the hard disk,to copy an IMovie project so that in the future the project can be edited. Some projects are too large to transfer to DVD as data file. I know that IDVD compresses but once it is written as dvd I can't edit.
QUOTE Thanks
surfwax95

surfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" Powerbook G4 24" iMac iPhone 3Gs

I'm not positive right now b/c I'm at work on a PC, but I'm pretty sure if you go iMovie>File there's an option to "archive" project. This saves all video files and makes the entire project self-contained so that you can edit it later on, or on a different computer.

If that's not correct, search in iMovie's HELP for "archive".

I try to Command+Shift+/ when I can.
They're - Their - There | Two - Too - To | You're - Your | MAC - Mac
I was on the M-F honor roll for October, 2006.
QUOTE Thanks
LordHawke

LordHawke is on a distinguished road

It is possible. In your home folder, there is a folder called Movies. If you've used iMovie, there will be a folder called iMovie Projects. If you've imported events, there will be an iMovie Events folder. Go into iMovie Projects to find the project files. Copy these to the Flash Drive or EHD. To back up Events, copy the iMovie Events folder. If not, you will not have video clips.

To work on the on another computer, put the files back in the same folders. If the folders don't exist, open iMovie. It will create them. Do not make them your self. The two folders actually have hidden file extensions. The full directory names are 'iMovie Projects.localized' and 'iMovie Events.localized'. Just be safe and let iMovie do it.

I have noticed that Finder in Snow Leopard occasionally has some issues copying files. You may get an error message something to the effect of 'the files cannot be read or written'. This is probably due to the fact that the project files themselves are actually folders with the extension .rcproject. No worries. Open Terminal (Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal) and type

'cp -r '

then drag the iMovie project file onto the window, drag the icon of your flash drive from the desktop to the window, then hit enter. All done.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Choppy Video Help | Final Cut Audio/Video sync »