New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

VOB to MP4 converter

Thread Closed

Nguithi

Nguithi is on a distinguished road

Is there a free app for lion that converts VOB to MP4? Any video converter (basic one) doesn't support vob and the converters I've found only do a few minutes of the video or don't convert to mp4 at all.
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Take a look at Squared 5 - MPEG Streamclip video converter for Mac and Windows. I am using it right at this moment to convert some .vob files. I'm converting to .mov but it can do mp4 as well.

I am not sure if you need Apple's MPEG Playback Component for this or not. Give it a shot though. Even if the codec were needed it is well worth it if you will be doing this often.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

My understanding is that Lion users no longer need the MPEG Playback Component (yay!), it's now included.
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

That's good to know. I wasn't sure whether it worked because the component was no longer needed or because it was a holdover on my system. Even without that component installed MPEG Streamclip has always opened/edited some files that everything but VLC seems to choke on.

Nguithi

Thanks for the reply, I've installed the program. How do I convert the files? I've tried dragging and dropping but only an audio bar appears
IvanLasston

IvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2

Handbrake is a very popular video transcoder.
HandBrake
By itself it cannot brake copy protection so I believe it is legal to talk about it here. (If i am wrong about that please delete) So if you are encoding movies for Apple devices - it makes it very easy as there are presets for for the popular devices. I recommend tha apple tv2 setting for modern devices.

It does support un-protected vob to mpg transcoding.
Slydude

I didn't think of HandBrake but it is also not difficult to do in MPEG Streamclip.I suggest trying both and seeing which which you prefer. Both programs are well worth having.

To get the job done in MPEG Streamclip check out ATPM 12.03 - How To: Performing a Video Extraction. Read the Getting Down to Work and Extracting the Video sections. The only difference is where I have exported to DV you would choose Export to Other Formats. When the window appears to choose export options the Format drop down menu has a variety of presets.

Nguithi

I tried the Mpeg converter, it said I needed a quicktime mpeg program, but the handbrake program worked perfectly.

Thanks for the assistance guys, it has really saved my memory space
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

thread moved to "Movies and Video".

My personal favourite is handbrake, also. i use this for all VOB conversions.

Editing, i generally use MPEG Streamclip. Both absolutely solid little programs. what i like about Streamclip in particular is its ability to cut parts from a pre encoded video without reencoding.

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
NYdivanOK

NYdivanOK is on a distinguished road

I used Stellar Phoenix recovery to recover deleted files off my video camera and now I want to view what was recovered and every program I try says that the files either can't be read, can't be found or is corrupt or an error has occurred. How do I fix this? I have an extremely important video that I accidentally deleted and I'm trying to retrieve it. The video camera is a Sony Handycam DCR-SX85. PLEASE HELP!?!
Nguithi

I'm sorry to hear you lost some files NYdivanOK. I don't know how to recover files, but I've seen some forums where the issue is addressed:

Repair corrupted .mov? - MacRumors Forums

How to fix corrupt video file : gopro

I hope this helps

Thread Closed

« IMovie | Wedding Blu-Ray in to iTunes »