Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Movies and Video (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/movies-video/)
-   -   VOB to MP4 converter (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/movies-video/265834-vob-mp4-converter.html)

Nguithi 02-05-2012 12:35 AM

VOB to MP4 converter

Is there a free app for lion that converts VOB to MP4? Any video converter (basic one) doesn't support vob and the converters I've found only do a few minutes of the video or don't convert to mp4 at all.

Slydude 02-05-2012 01:52 AM

Take a look at Squared 5 - MPEG Streamclip video converter for Mac and Windows. I am using it right at this moment to convert some .vob files. I'm converting to .mov but it can do mp4 as well.

I am not sure if you need Apple's MPEG Playback Component for this or not. Give it a shot though. Even if the codec were needed it is well worth it if you will be doing this often.

chas_m 02-05-2012 03:07 AM

My understanding is that Lion users no longer need the MPEG Playback Component (yay!), it's now included.

Slydude 02-05-2012 10:19 AM

That's good to know. I wasn't sure whether it worked because the component was no longer needed or because it was a holdover on my system. Even without that component installed MPEG Streamclip has always opened/edited some files that everything but VLC seems to choke on.

Nguithi 02-05-2012 12:34 PM

Thanks for the reply, I've installed the program. How do I convert the files? I've tried dragging and dropping but only an audio bar appears

IvanLasston 02-05-2012 01:19 PM

Handbrake is a very popular video transcoder.
HandBrake
By itself it cannot brake copy protection so I believe it is legal to talk about it here. (If i am wrong about that please delete) So if you are encoding movies for Apple devices - it makes it very easy as there are presets for for the popular devices. I recommend tha apple tv2 setting for modern devices.

It does support un-protected vob to mpg transcoding.

Slydude 02-05-2012 01:41 PM

I didn't think of HandBrake but it is also not difficult to do in MPEG Streamclip.I suggest trying both and seeing which which you prefer. Both programs are well worth having.

To get the job done in MPEG Streamclip check out ATPM 12.03 - How To: Performing a Video Extraction. Read the Getting Down to Work and Extracting the Video sections. The only difference is where I have exported to DV you would choose Export to Other Formats. When the window appears to choose export options the Format drop down menu has a variety of presets.

Nguithi 02-13-2012 07:37 PM

I tried the Mpeg converter, it said I needed a quicktime mpeg program, but the handbrake program worked perfectly.

Thanks for the assistance guys, it has really saved my memory space

robduckyworth 02-13-2012 08:10 PM

thread moved to "Movies and Video".

My personal favourite is handbrake, also. i use this for all VOB conversions.

Editing, i generally use MPEG Streamclip. Both absolutely solid little programs. what i like about Streamclip in particular is its ability to cut parts from a pre encoded video without reencoding.

NYdivanOK 05-12-2013 05:59 AM

Vob files

I used Stellar Phoenix recovery to recover deleted files off my video camera and now I want to view what was recovered and every program I try says that the files either can't be read, can't be found or is corrupt or an error has occurred. How do I fix this? I have an extremely important video that I accidentally deleted and I'm trying to retrieve it. The video camera is a Sony Handycam DCR-SX85. PLEASE HELP!?!

Nguithi 05-15-2013 04:47 AM

I'm sorry to hear you lost some files NYdivanOK. I don't know how to recover files, but I've seen some forums where the issue is addressed:

Repair corrupted .mov? - MacRumors Forums

How to fix corrupt video file : gopro

I hope this helps