New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Two questions relating to iMovie and Final Cut Studio Pro

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

vanguy79

vanguy79 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook 2009 4GbRAM Intel Core2Duo 2.4GHZ NVidia GF9400M 256MB OS Snow Leopard

Hi, I have been trying to record my gameplay of Skyrim and I used Quicktime 7 to record the screen. So it is saved as a .mov file format and it is viewable by Quicktime 7 no problem.

Now my question relating to iMovie: When i do the project in iMovie with the .mov file from Quicktime, it always strips out the top inch and bottom inch of the screen. I did not change any setting to ma ke it widescreen so why does it do that? Also, whenever I render the project to be shared to Youtube, the quality degrades quite a lot even though I chose the HD setting? So much so that small print on the screen that is viewable on Quicktime in the original recorded file cannot be seen now. What was wrong with it? Was it because when i import the file into iMovie, i chose the Full quality and not the Large quality?

My question relating to Final Cut Studio: Since the quality from iMovie was not satisfactory, I tried usign Final Cut Studio Pro to edit but for some reason it cannot accept the .mov file format. It keeps giving me error message saying it does nto recognize the file format. Why is that even though the mov file format is perfectly usable and captured using Quicktime 7? Must I convert that file format to something, AVI perhaps or MP4? I used Final Cut Studio before to edit my movies from my iPhone and it works great, I do not understand therefore why it cannot accept move files from Quicktime 7.

So, if anyone has any advice please, I am open to receiving them.
QUOTE Thanks
mgsfan18

mgsfan18 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 duo processor 4 GB of memory 300 GB HD imac, 8GB Ipod Touch 4th generation

Okay so I can't answer everything here but the cropping of the top and bottom is most likely because you have initial video placement set to crop.

To fix that go:

File> Project Proporties

Then under the "Timing" tab change "initial video placement" to "fit to frame".

A man who is not one for words once told me...
QUOTE Thanks
vanguy79

vanguy79 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook 2009 4GbRAM Intel Core2Duo 2.4GHZ NVidia GF9400M 256MB OS Snow Leopard

Hey thanks for that. I will test it out later in the day after work to see if changing the fit to frame works. But I still need to figure out why the video quality degrades enough that small print in the original video becomes unreadable after rendering even when i chose the export option in HD setting.
QUOTE Thanks
mgsfan18

mgsfan18 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 duo processor 4 GB of memory 300 GB HD imac, 8GB Ipod Touch 4th generation

What version of imovie are you using?

A man who is not one for words once told me...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Burning data disc | Exporting 5:4 »