New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Working with AVI files on a Mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

karungguni

karungguni is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Late 2011 15 in MBP, 2.2 i7, 8 GB RAM; iPhone 4; iPad 2 16GB, AT&T

I have a DVD player that plays AVI files with most DivX. Is there a program can change the resolution if need or convert other formats to AVI. Tried Vivideo but it is expensive and does a lot more than I need it to do. Does anybody know another program that i used that is free or less expensive
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Just so I understand, you're saying you have some video files that are NOT in DivX (codec) and AVI (container) and you'd like to convert them to that so you can burn a DivX disc for your DVD player to play? Right?

If so, then you have lots and lots of options. The most brain-dead easiest is to use Roxio's Toast (~$60) -- just drag files of any video type in, specify type of disc you want, wait, done. That's it.

If you prefer to do it more manually, you can use (among others) Adapter, iFFMPEG, Permute, Miro Video Converter, MPEG Streamclip and at least a dozen others. They range in price from free to $15 or so.

Avoid any conversion software that ends in "soft" or "share". These are the product of Chinese spammers.
QUOTE Thanks
karungguni

Actually my dvd player has a USB port and supports DivX so just need to convert non AVI files sometimes. Also come across files that are AVI but my DVD player does not recognize
QUOTE Thanks
karungguni

Checked a forum on my DVD player and it seems my original problem was that the video resolution was too high for my player. the max is 720 x 480. Managed to convert the file so it worked with Vivideo but it is overkill for my needs. I tried using Adapter but was not successful. I am getting the impression that the program has to support divx. Do you know if any of the programs do that. Additionally am looking for a program to hardcode subtitles on AVI files.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

The only one I ever saw that did the hardcoding subtitles is FFMPEGX, which still works in Lion (barely) but is really abandonware.

If the files you are trying to work with are available on DVD, just buy the DVD. You will end up saving a HUGE amount of time and frustration in the long run.

PS. AVI is a container, not a format, which is why some AVIs meet the DIVX standard and some don't. Also, 720x480 is the maximum resolution of any standard-definition NTSC DVD player.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Importing .img into iMovie | Buying a new workstation specifically for FCPX »