New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

no idvd on new imac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

fastbike

fastbike is on a distinguished road

I just purchased my first imac. I made a movie on imovie and was supprised to see that I do not have a way to burn it to DVD. I cantacted apple and they stated they no longer include idvd on the new machines and advised third party software. They said I could get idvd from an old ilife disc and install it. Does anyone have any advice on the best way to go. Should I try to find and old ilife disc or is there some good software anyone could recommend???
my email is fastbike51@yahoo.com
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

You can try Burn, its a free, open source program to burn DVDs.

Burn - Home

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
QUOTE Thanks
fastbike

I downloaded the BURN program but I can;t figure out how to get the project from imovie to the BURN program
QUOTE Thanks
MightyGem

MightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. White MacBook, 10.8.5. iPhone 3GS.

You'll have to Share from iMove to either a Movie or to Quicktime, and then use Burn to put that file on a dvd.
QUOTE Thanks
Murgy91

Murgy91 is on a distinguished road

Bit rubbish that u can't burn a DVD without downloading 3rd party software now...
QUOTE Thanks
mockney

mockney will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Book Pro '15' i7 Quad Core, iPhone 5, iPod (U2), time capsule (2tb), apple tv.

Totally agree, I know that Apple are trying to push us away from the use of CD's/DVD's but this should still be part of the core functionality in the base operating system rather than having to go to 3rd parties (even if they are free downloads).
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

Just curious as I have never looked. Does Windows 7 out of the install, not a Compaq install that comes with extra software, burn VIDEO DVD's that play on a normal DVD player?

OSX WILL burn CD's and DVDs from finder out of the install. Just not sure on a Movie DVD that will play on a set top DVD player since I always use roxio toast here for all my burning needs.
QUOTE Thanks
mockney

mockney will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Book Pro '15' i7 Quad Core, iPhone 5, iPod (U2), time capsule (2tb), apple tv.

I had toast prior to when I upgraded to Lion. Once I did it stopped working I presumed this was down to it being a Power PC based application?.
QUOTE Thanks
fastbike

I have reasd alot about toast and there is an update for lion now. The problem I see with toast is that the only video cameras it supports ar the newer AVCHD type. I am really upset that the idvd program did not come on my new imac and is no longer available. Some say it can be installed from an older cd of ilife but I don't have one and don't know anyone that does/ even then I am not sure if I can jusy install the idvd program with messing up my system. Starting to feel like I should have stayed a with PC Waited a long time to switch to apple. Should have waited forever
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

Toast is a BURNING application, not an app to access a camera. Toast is the Nero of OSX.

Where in Windows 7 out of the install DVD is all these apps you are speaking of?

Also I am running a version of Toast 2 versions behind the current and there was an update for Lion. I am running Toast 10. Works fine in Lion.
QUOTE Thanks
fastbike

I installed toast 11 and it can make dvd from a video file on the computer. Movies from imovie are blurry and not usable. I was told that I could make a video from a camcorder but the only camcorder it will recognize is and AVCHD camera. So for me to make a movie I guess I have to first put the movie on the computer somehow because it will not recognize my camera software files either. Pretty confusing I made a dvd from MP$ files on my computer and they seem pretty good.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Movies from iMovie are "blurry"? Say what?

Edit: maybe iMovie needs ... iGlasses! HAHAHAHA sorry man had to be done.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
Movies from iMovie are "blurry"? Say what?

Edit: maybe iMovie needs ... iGlasses! HAHAHAHA sorry man had to be done.
There has to be something being done wrong if iMovies movies are that blurry. Never seen that here.

Yes iGlasses! Hear Chas Apple! Make them!
QUOTE Thanks
MacLicious

MacLicious will become famous soon enough

Look at amazon. I just bought iLife '09 brand new for $20. I got it just for the iDVD and iWeb that no longer are preinstalled on new MBA's.

// MacBook Air mid2011 i5 4gb ram 256SSD // 2009 24"iMac 3.06 C2D nVidia 130GT 512mb // iPad Mini 64gb // iPad2 64gb 3G // iPhone4 32gb used as iPod *Current phone Samsung Galaxy Note3* // iPod Nano Gen5 // iPod Shuffle 2gb Gen4 // iPod Video 80gb // ...Ya I guess you could say I like Apple Products! //
QUOTE Thanks
fastbike

Hey thanks for the essay for switchers. very good advice. I want know if I buy the ilife 09 disc can I just install the idvd program from it so I do not mess anything in ilife 11 up?? Thank you all for your advice and help and a Happy Holidays to all.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMovie completely frozen | Converting VHS-C tapes to digital »