New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Workflow For Sharing Video?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MachoGeo

MachoGeo is on a distinguished road

Question: Moving on from the soon-to-be discontinued MobileMe, how do you share videos from your personal library with your family and friends?

Problem: I have a one-minute 6MB video clip from the 80's (home video conversion) in my iTunes library that I want to share with my sister. Here's what I've attempted with no success.

After editing in iMovie, I exported the movie to iTunes where I converted the video to two different sizes: a large one for iTunes/AppleTV home sharing and another smaller, mobile version to share. The mobile version syncs to my iPhone but cannot be sent via MMS/iMessage like other video captured with the iPhone.

After editing in iMovie, I exported the video to Vimeo (instead of iTunes). Export to Vimeo took 30 minutes for Vimeo to process and video sharing is limited to Vimeo users (or subsets of Vimeo users) or everyone (i.e., you cannot share a private video to non-Vimeo users using a link). My sister is not a Vimeo user and I don't want a bunch of home movies available to the public.

Again, when I had MobileMe, this was easy - the video was moved to iDisk and a private link was shared. Now, there doesn't seem to be an easy way to share private home movies with my extended family. Since everything is going into the cloud, DVD is a dying/dead format, this seems like an odd problem to have. Am I missing something? Shouldn't this be easier?

~MG
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Dropbox

Or just email it. 6MB should be small enough to email.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

I know they're not everyone's cup of tea, but might I suggest Facebook? A lot of people you want to share with may be on there and you can set the privacy controls to limit who can see home videos.
QUOTE Thanks
codda

codda is a jewel in the roughcodda is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 21.5 iMac 3.06 ghz 12gb ram 500g HD iPad 2 16G

YouTube...either unlisted or private...with links...no membership required...
QUOTE Thanks
MachoGeo

MachoGeo is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the feedback. It looks like Dropbox is going to be the solution.

I still find it odd that I cannot send it via MMS as I can other video captured with my iPhone (format issue?).

Facebook - was a user, not anymore.

YouTube might work as well if the privacy settings are practical enough to not have to have different accounts for different sharing levels.

DVD was my original option for sharing longer videos, but my new iMac didn't come with iDVD so there's no way to burn one (unless I find an old copy for sale or something). How would one share a two-hour video without burning to DVD?
QUOTE Thanks
codda

codda is a jewel in the roughcodda is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 21.5 iMac 3.06 ghz 12gb ram 500g HD iPad 2 16G

YouTube is stupid simple...just classify the video...and provide the link to whomever you want...With Dropbox...everyone will have to actually download the video...either to their own acct. or to their computer to watch...With MMS your probably exceeding the maximum allowable file size on certain videos...some go through...some don't..
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« toast titanium 11 and conversions | Screen Recording Software with adjustable fps? »