New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Converting .mov???

Thread Closed

jaster

jaster will become famous soon enough

Is there any way whatsoever to cnvert .mov files? My wife uses a pc and my quicktime movies ar impossible to play on her pc. I am about to trash my quicktime 7.0.3. I need to convert them from .mov files. Playing them on her pc as .mov files is not an option, we need to convert them. Preferable to .wmv files. Anything other than .mov would be better than what we are stuck with now. Very disappointed with the new quicktime update.
joeytomatoes

Does the PC have QT 7 also ? If not get it.
lil

iMovie if you haven't upgraded to QT pro 7.

QT 7 isn't on Windows - yet. If you have Quicktime Pro you can also convert to as standard some basic AVIs. If you get the DivX codec, that's possible too.

Vicky
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

A windows version of quicktime 7.0.3 is available. I am running it on my work PC.

It would be easier to have her down load the windows version.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
lil

Oh, well it must have been released. Do apologise :flower:

I just don't use PCs so I hadn't noticed hehe.

Vicky
jaster

jaster will become famous soon enough

My whole point is, I don't want it in quicktime format on the pc. I need something to convert the movies prior to moving them off the mac. I need to be able to upload movies to a website that does not support .mov files as well. Quicktime on the pc is useless. I need to do more than just play them on the wife's pc. i need them playable on family and friends pc's. I HATE QUICKTIME!!!
IanCT

IanCT will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster
My whole point is, I don't want it in quicktime format on the pc. I need something to convert the movies prior to moving them off the mac. I need to be able to upload movies to a website that does not support .mov files as well. Quicktime on the pc is useless. I need to do more than just play them on the wife's pc. i need them playable on family and friends pc's. I HATE QUICKTIME!!!
I believe in QuickTime you can export to AVI and MPEG.
gotenks05

gotenks05 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
Is there any way whatsoever to cnvert .mov files? My wife uses a pc and my quicktime movies ar impossible to play on her pc. I am about to trash my quicktime 7.0.3. I need to convert them from .mov files. Playing them on her pc as .mov files is not an option, we need to convert them. Preferable to .wmv files. Anything other than .mov would be better than what we are stuck with now. Very disappointed with the new quicktime update.
You have two choices, they are both free, but one has an annoying message (if you do not register it, which means pay for it). First, is to convert on you Mac using ffmpegX (download is located at http://www.pure-mac.com/video.html#ffmpegx). Your second option is to convert it on her PC using SUPER (download is located at http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html). Use ffmpegX, if and only if you want to convert your file into MPG (this format should play on PC). If you just want it in WMV, put SUPER onto her computer. All you need to do for either one is drag the file you want to convert and tell it what format you want it in and tell it to encode the video.
Bluesmudge

Bluesmudge will become famous soon enough

Honestly, .wmv sucks so much. .mpg, and .mov is the way to go. There must be some user error because .mov files should play just fine in quicktime. Make sure its the latest update.
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

I just checked the freshness date on this thread...*sniff*, yeah.. its expired.

:black:

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

Thread Closed

« Imovie music authorization | movie question »