New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Problems Importing mp3 file into iMovie Project

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Hawk77

Hawk77 is on a distinguished road

I have edited a video in iMovie and wanted to put some music under. My friend sent me the mp3 file of his own composed music. I imported it and it shows up under the iTunes pane, but it is greyed out and iTunes does not allow me to drag and drop it into the project. A window shows up saying "iTunes cannot locate the original source". Is there a way to go around iTunes? How do I get an original music file into iMovie?

I tried to convert it to a quicktime movie file and import it as a movie into events, but this didn't work either. It kept being greyed out

Any ideas?
Thank you
QUOTE Thanks
MightyGem

MightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. White MacBook, 10.8.5. iPhone 3GS.

Quote:
A window shows up saying "iTunes cannot locate the original source"
That indicates that the mp3 file is no longer on your computer. Where did you import it from?
QUOTE Thanks
Hawk77

I received it by email and downloaded it on my computer. I just checked. It is still there.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

What happens if you simply DRAG the original MP3 file straight from the email into your project window in iMovie?
QUOTE Thanks
Hawk77

I tried it but it doesn't work. I have to download the file. And when I download it opens up automatically with iTunes.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

By this I take it you mean that the "email" you're referring to is NOT on your local hard drive but is in fact on a server -- probably that you are accessing through a web browser (ie, webmail)?
QUOTE Thanks
Hawk77

Yes, this is correct. In the meantime I downloaded the file again from the email and saved it on my hard drive and this time it worked! Not sure why it didn't work the first time!
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

The reason it didn't work the first time is because the file was not on your computer, it was on the mail server somewhere. Now that you have a copy on your computer's hard drive, iMovie (and everything else) can access it.
QUOTE Thanks
Hawk77

Thank you Chas_m !
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Text between scenes | How do I convert .mov to .mjpeg or other Windows compatible Codec? »