New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Final cut...what version ?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

leebou

leebou will become famous soon enough

Hi All just wonderd if you could advise me on the purchase of final cut i should buy.I am a first time mac user and dont want to use imovie only to have to change in a few months,i thought id learn to use final cut from the start.There seem to be so many versions and yesterday went to my local store where they had final cut studio which was about 850.00 gulp...
What versions do you guys use and what do you think i need for home videos that i aim to do as professionaly as possible.
Thanks in advance Lee
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

iMovie is quite capable, especially for home movies. Why would you need to change in a few months?

I would recommend giving iMovie a try - and if you find it to be limiting, then exploring other options.

Final Cut Pro X (as available from the Mac App Store) is the current version of Final Cut Pro - and although it's been panned by professional editors used to older versions, is really quite capable for those that are coming into it fresh.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Apple currently has a trial of Final Cut Pro X available for download. The trial will work for 30 days after the application is opened for the first time. You can find more information at Apple - Final Cut Pro X - Trial

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

Don't blame me if following this advice causes loss of data, a rip in space time allowing dinosaurs to roam free, or your significant other to leave.
QUOTE Thanks
codda

codda is a jewel in the roughcodda is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 21.5 iMac 3.06 ghz 12gb ram 500g HD iPad 2 16G

Start with iMovie as mentioned...get your feet wet a bit...I would then recommend FCP X as the next upgrade ( if necessary ). Has a very familiar interface to iMovie yet is extremely robust and quite capable...as mentioned in previous posts...Trial version is a good idea.
QUOTE Thanks
leebou

Thanks for the replies people all taken on board...
Lee
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

If this is just for home movies, you'd be wasting your time and money working with "pro" editors like Final Cut Pro. iMovie can do INCREDIBLE stuff with home videos ... take a look at the results of a search for "iMovie 11 trailers" in YouTube for a sample.

Best of all, iMovie is already on your Mac (free!). Learn it first. Final Cut X (if and when you ever actually move to it) shares a lot of the elements of the interface, so there's a lower learning curve. Get a book on iMovie 11 and prepare to be amazed.

But, in the spirit of offering alternatives, you could also look at Adobe Premiere Elements for Mac. I haven't heard much about it yet, but I also haven't heard anything bad about it, which is a good sign.
QUOTE Thanks
Kevin Monahan

Kevin Monahan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
But, in the spirit of offering alternatives, you could also look at Adobe Premiere Elements for Mac. I haven't heard much about it yet, but I also haven't heard anything bad about it, which is a good sign.
I'd go with Premiere Pro over Premiere Elements if I were you. Discount pricing is closing soon.

Kevin Monahan
Sr. Content and Community Lead
Adobe After Effects, Premiere Pro, Media Encoder
Adobe Systems, Inc., San Francisco, CA
QUOTE Thanks
KirkDS

KirkDS is on a distinguished road

I finally switched to Mac earlier this year in hopes of learning video/audio editing for the purpose of promoting my band....and to say that I'm happy with the results would be an incredible understatement. iMovie has been easy to learn, yet very powerful. I just recently bought the iMovie 11 / iDVD "Missing Manual" book and it's easily the most useful tech book I've ever purchased. It's made the learning process a piece of cake.
I plan on moving up to FCP X at some point, but still lots to learn before then...and so far iMovie 11 does everything I've needed it to.
Here is my band's official "trailer" that I threw together in my first week PopROCKSLive's Channel - YouTube
QUOTE Thanks
rdsii64

rdsii64 is on a distinguished road

I got final cut pro x simply because I wanted a new toy and was willing to pony up 300.00 to get it. BELIEVE ME WHEN I TELL YOU Imove is the best consumer grade video editing application available. Even though final cut pro is almost as easy to use as iMovie, unless you edit video for a living its over kill. Its a really need and easy to use overkill, but non-the-less overkill. Unless you have a rather unique need, iMovie 11 can do some amazing things. The movie at the youtube link below was not only edited with iMovie but it was shot with an iPhone.
APPLE OF MY EYE - an iPhone 4 movie / film - YouTube
QUOTE Thanks
Kevin Monahan

Kevin Monahan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdsii64 View Post
I got final cut pro x simply because I wanted a new toy and was willing to pony up 300.00 to get it. BELIEVE ME WHEN I TELL YOU Imove is the best consumer grade video editing application available. Even though final cut pro is almost as easy to use as imovie if you don't edit video for a living its over kill. Its a really neat and easy to use overkill but non-the-less overkill. Unless you have a rather unique need, iMovie 11 can do some amazing things. The movie at the youtube link below was not only edited with iMovie but it was shot with an iPhone 4.
I LOVE overkill!
Looks great though!

Kevin Monahan
Sr. Content and Community Lead
Adobe After Effects, Premiere Pro, Media Encoder
Adobe Systems, Inc., San Francisco, CA
QUOTE Thanks
KirkDS

KirkDS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdsii64 View Post
I got final cut pro x simply because I wanted a new toy and was willing to pony up 300.00 to get it. BELIEVE ME WHEN I TELL YOU Imove is the best consumer grade video editing application available. Even though final cut pro is almost as easy to use as iMovie, unless you edit video for a living its over kill. Its a really need and easy to use overkill, but non-the-less overkill. Unless you have a rather unique need, iMovie 11 can do some amazing things. The movie at the youtube link below was not only edited with iMovie but it was shot with an iPhone.
Very nice! How did you handle all of that panning, etc. with the iPhone?
QUOTE Thanks
rdsii64

rdsii64 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkDS View Post
Very nice! How did you handle all of that panning, etc. with the iPhone?
I didn't make the movie. I did how ever see the video on how it was done. They simply put the iPhone in a mobile mount to do the panning and stuff. They use the same filming techniques use to make big screen movies. They just used iPhones for cameras.
QUOTE Thanks
leebou

Thanks for all your replies,i think your right and i will try imovie first but will that let me edit and burn to a dvd from my old mini dv tapes.I have loads of mini dv tapes i want to get on to dvd and some old vhsc tapes i want to get to dvd.I hope imovie will let me do this.My new camera records in avchd so i understand i will have to get some sort of file converter to work in imovie(i hope it dosent loose quality).
Thanks again for all your help guys.
Lee
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How to create an animated photo mosaic in imovie | iTunes not locating other files when prompted and clicking yes ?? »