New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Converting movies from PC to Mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Ntenze

Ntenze is on a distinguished road

I got a bunch of video in .avi and .wmv format. How can i play video and edit in Quicktime ?

I downloaded VLC, since that is the only way i can get it to work. I thought with switching to Mac, i could cut down on my 3rd party apps.

Please Help !!! I got a ton of questions ... kind of miss my PC ... wish i had converted sooner
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntenze View Post
...i could cut down on my 3rd party apps.
This may be true...but you can't start counting until after you've completely converted.

Quote:
... kind of miss my PC ... wish i had converted sooner
This is sort of an odd statement. How can you say "miss my PC" and "wish I had converted sooner" in the same statement.

It's sort of like being an optimist & a pessimist in the same statement!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Handbrake should do the job for you.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Ntenze

Sometimes it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks ... been using a PC for over 10 years, Got my MBP about 10 days ago , completely lost now. Don't intend to quit though, have had the Iphone since the beginning.
QUOTE Thanks
Ntenze

Thanks vansmith for the reply ..

Is there a way quicktime can do it, though ?

If i upgrade to pro will it provide editing and converting avi and wmv files ?
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

Not that I know of. Why not just use Handbrake to do the conversions and then uninstall it when you're done?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Thanks vansmith for the reply ..

Is there a way quicktime can do it, though ?

If i upgrade to pro will it provide editing and converting avi and wmv files ?
No. Quicktime is a player, not a converter. If you want to convert from other formats, you'll need something like Handbrake. You can also install Perian, which expands the types of formats Quicktime can play.

Another options is Microsoft's Flip4Mac, which plays WMV files in Quicktime.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Ntenze

Thanks guys ... i will check out handbrake ... i already tried flip4mac , doesnt work for me, maybe i got something set up wrong.

I thought i read something about handbrake no longer being about to read avi files ?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Thanks guys ... i will check out handbrake ... i already tried flip4mac , doesnt work for me, maybe i got something set up wrong.

I thought i read something about handbrake no longer being about to read avi files ?
Make sure you install Perian as well, they don't call it "The Swiss Army Knife of Quicktime components" for nothing.

AVI isn't a codec, it's a container for other codecs. So, it's possible that Handbrake might not support some of the codecs that an AVI file can contain. But I can tell you that I've used it on dozens and it has yet to fail me.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

What's wrong with using 3rd party apps? I never use QuickTime. To be honest, don't like it much in general.. but that's just me. I do use VLC however. And as suggested, Perian will enable QT to play those formats which won't play natively. This practice isn't any different from having to install codec packs in Windows so that WMP can play files not native to it.

Using a converter is going to be a real crutch if all you want to do is watch movies on your Mac. In the amount of time it takes to convert, you could have watched a movie already! There are some really great third party apps for OS X in general, you shouldn't be afraid to explore all of your options.

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

Here's a list of Handbrake's supported input and output formats. AVI is supported but as noted by cwa107, this doesn't mean that all AVI files will work since various codecs can be used with the AVI container.

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Ntenze

Thanks for all the reply's ... Handbrake does the trick, ...

Doug - I'm still learning :Smirk
QUOTE Thanks
derekeverett

derekeverett is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 3.1 ghz i5, 12 gb 1333 mhz & iPhone 4s

Flip4mac Pro will do the job.. but it costs about $30. I have used it in the past when I was doing a lot of video sharing with Windows only people and it worked well. I was importing .wmv right into imovie and exporting from quicktime back into .wmv. I'm assuming .avi would be just as simple...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Nikon D5100 and Canon EOS 600D compatible with iMovie'11 | Error code -37 in iMovie 8? »