Exporting video... how can I email a video to a friend who doesnt have a Mac
    Hi guys and girls, ive made a video using imovie but cant email it to a friens as they dont have a mac, is there a known app or other way that I can open this video in and send it to a friend

thanks for your help

Specs:
    Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
    You won't be able to email the video to anyone - it (unless it's REALLY short) will be most likely too large.

You'll want to export the video from iMovie which should save it as either a .mov or .mp4 or .m4v (I don't use iMovie much) - you'll then need to upload it somewhere (like, for example, dropbox) and then email your friend the link. Their computer should be able to play .mov if they have quicktime installed and also should be able to play mpeg4 video (if they can't, then they need to get the codecs or install quicktime).
    My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m, 16Gig ram; 2013 Mac Pro 6 core w/ D700, 16Gig Ram; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Linux; Apple TV (1080p version)

Thanks buddy, I'm pretty novice on macs and so is my friend would be so much easier If there's an app that I could use separately to make the video again?

Specs:
    MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
    Just upload the movie to Youtube or something like that. iMovie has that feature built right in, so you don't have to redo your movie. >_<"
    死神はリンゴしか食べない。

thanks but the audio is under copyright nd wont allow to upload, it is a demonstration video so i wont be using the audio illegally if anyone knows of an app or something like i would be much appreciated

thanks for replies

anybody new have any ideas? is there an app i can buy that easily exports video...

Specs:
    21.5 iMac 3.06 ghz 12gb ram 500g HD iPad 2 16G
    As mentioned...waaay too big to e-mail...aside from uploading to YouTube etc....you need a host...There is no app. that will host it for you...next thing might be Mobileme...?

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    Quote Originally Posted by neilmcnulty View Post
    anybody new have any ideas? is there an app i can buy that easily exports video...
    You're really not getting what we're saying, are you?

It's not a question of whether it's easy to export video in iMovie ... it's incredibly easy in a wide variety of formats. What we're telling you is that a video longer than say, 30 seconds (and compressed to the size of dollar coin) will be TOO LARGE to email. From iMovie or any other program.

So, repeating what people have said several times already in this thread, export your video and then put it on Dropbox (free) or something like it, which is entirely designed to make large files (up to 2GB) VERY EASY TO SHARE.

Have a look at Dropbox's site to find out exactly how easy it is.

Specs:
    PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.10.5. iPhone 3GS.
    thanks but the audio is under copyright nd wont allow to upload,
    Youtube has quite strict copyright functions, but Vimeo seem to be a bit more lax.

Quote Originally Posted by neilmcnulty View Post
    thanks but the audio is under copyright nd wont allow to upload, it is a demonstration video so i wont be using the audio illegally if anyone knows of an app or something like i would be much appreciated

thanks for replies
    I will bet you TWO undervalued US dollars that you can still upload it to Youtube. They will just end up giving you a notice of copyright music, but you can still watch your video there. They just put ads on it and share it with the license holder. Happens all the time.

Specs:
    PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.10.5. iPhone 3GS.
    Depends on the music and the copyright. On one of my videos, they muted the entire audio track.

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    YouTube has recently reached a deal with some -- but not all -- music publishers over this:

Music publishers agree to settle YouTube copyright lawsuit | Electronista

But you also have the option of uploading a video and posting it as PRIVATE, meaning only those people who have the password will be able to see it. This seems to me to be a better option for you (other than the dropbox solution already posted).

Thread Information