New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

DVD Region Changing

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Lefty Loco

Lefty Loco is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mid 2010 MacBook Pro, iPhone 5, 160GB iPod Classic, AirPort Extreme, Apple TV

Ok, I have some DVD's from the UK, and obviously the region is wrong. I am afraid of using up my limited number of region changes on my MacBook Pro. Is there any way around this limit, or am I stuck once it's reached?

Thank you
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty Loco View Post
Ok, I have some DVD's from the UK, and obviously the region is wrong. I am afraid of using up my limited number of region changes on my MacBook Pro. Is there any way around this limit, or am I stuck once it's reached?

Thank you
You could get an external DVD drive specifically for your UK DVDs.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty Loco View Post
Ok, I have some DVD's from the UK, and obviously the region is wrong. I am afraid of using up my limited number of region changes on my MacBook Pro. Is there any way around this limit, or am I stuck once it's reached? Thank you
In addition to what schweb suggested (which by the way is a good suggestion) you can do this:

Open System Preferences, click on CDs & DVDs. Where it says, "When you insert a video DVD", choose "ignore".

After doing that, download and install the free VLC player.

Now when you insert one of your UK video DVDs, select the VLC player to play it. No region setting required.
QUOTE Thanks
EvenStranger

EvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really nice
Mac Specs: Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd

VLC has recently updated their FAQ to include information on newer model DVD drives. Apparently the newer drives will do a firmware check before attempting to play media, and VLC can't circumvent it, nor can any other software at this time. VLC is free, to trying it costs you nothing, but if it doesn't work, you'll need to consider either a region-free drive or one devoted to UK media.
QUOTE Thanks
Lefty Loco

Lefty Loco is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mid 2010 MacBook Pro, iPhone 5, 160GB iPod Classic, AirPort Extreme, Apple TV

Ahh yes! I already have and love VLC! Why didn't I think of trying that?

Thank you!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How to have an avi file play as the screen saver | 2 questions on movies please! & 1 Hope! »