New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Convert .avi Files To Play On Standard DVD Player?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

skeeterbud

skeeterbud is on a distinguished road

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. I have a series of 8 lectures, some broken in 2 parts, ranging from 400-500 mb in size.They are all in .avi format. Is it possible to use IDVD to burn them to a disk in a format that will allow them to be played on any standard DVD player with a TV? If so,can someone explain the process to me? Thanks to all here, love this forum.
QUOTE Thanks
MightyGem

MightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. White MacBook, 10.8.5. iPhone 3GS.

I would do it this way, but others will have different methods.

Use MPEGStream clip to convert them to Quicktime, using the Apple Intermediate Codec setting.
Squared 5 - MPEG Streamclip video converter for Mac OS X

If you want to join those that are in two parts into one, you could import into iMovie and then share to iDVD. If you don't need to join them, you could open iDVD and then just drag and drop each file. When you play the dvd in a player, you'll get the option to choose which one to play.

How long are your lectures? A standard dvd will take about 1h 30m of video, a dual layer disc about twice as much without reducing the quality.
QUOTE Thanks
skeeterbud

Thanks for the reply.They run from 45 minutes to one hour. I will look at your method tomorrow and see if this will work for me. Will let you know what I find out, and thanks again for your help.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

The only tool I've found that does a good job easily (and in one step) is Roxio's Toast. It isn't cheap, but if you do this often, you'll be glad you bought it:

Roxio Toast 11 Titanium - CD & DVD Burning for Mac

Why they don't reduce the price in an age where a lot of people are moving away from optical discs and drives is beyond me, but they've always been greedy. You can probably find it substantially cheaper out on Amazon.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Jablinski55

Jablinski55 is on a distinguished road

Hi have OSX Lion and have lost 'Front Row' but thanks to blogger have now got it again but it won't link to my iTunes so can't see or play music thru it? Can anyone advise?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

The updated version of iTunes broke compatibility with Front Row (which is no longer supported). Unfortunately, this renders Front Row only compatible with standalone files in your Movies and Music folders. It can no longer interface with iTunes.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Jablinski55

Thanks for that I was wondering why, that's put that one to bed. Can always play music in cover flow which is just as good. Have a good day and many thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Jablinski55

Does anyone know about an animated email programme i.e. Incredimail or anything similar? Used to use that on windows but can't find anything similar on Mac
QUOTE Thanks
skeeterbud

Man oh man you are not kidding about their price!!! What a joke, I will try and get it done another way before I give them that much. Thanks for the info, maybe some other members will have some more ideas, have a great week everybody.
QUOTE Thanks
MightyGem

MightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. White MacBook, 10.8.5. iPhone 3GS.

Quote:
Hi have OSX Lion and have lost 'Front Row' but thanks to blogger have now got it again but it won't link to my iTunes so can't see or play music thru it? Can anyone advise?
Quote:
The updated version of iTunes broke compatibility with Front Row (which is no longer supported). Unfortunately, this renders Front Row only compatible with standalone files in your Movies and Music folders. It can no longer interface with iTunes.
Quote:
Thanks for that I was wondering why, that's put that one to bed. Can always play music in cover flow which is just as good. Have a good day and many thanks
Quote:
Does anyone know about an animated email programme i.e. Incredimail or anything similar? Used to use that on windows but can't find anything similar on Mac
Hey! Go start your own topic.
QUOTE Thanks
Jablinski55

sorry mate not quite sure how to start my own blog….first time for everything
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jablinski55 View Post
sorry mate not quite sure how to start my own blog….first time for everything
Click on the main Mac-Forums link at the top of the page.
Browse the list of all the forums for the most appropriate one for your topic.
Click on the forum.
Click on the New Thread button at the top left of the page.

(And they're called threads in a forum. )

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Keynote to Quicktime to DVD help | Help needed - wireless movie streaming »