New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

move movies to external HD

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

muddywings

muddywings is on a distinguished road

iMovie question
I have been filling up my hard drive and it is time to clean it off.
I want to be able to move the raw files over but want to know if they will stay linked to the projects?
I don't have the HD yet but I am assuming it will show up in the event library and I should be able to drag and drop the events, correct?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
MightyGem

MightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. White MacBook, 10.8.5. iPhone 3GS.

Which iMovie are you using? If iMovie11, when you plug in your external drive, you should get drive icons in both the Project and Events Libraries.

If you want to move a project to the external drive, just drag it to the icon in the Project library. You will be asked whether you want to transfer the associaited Events as well. If you want to work on the Project on another Mac, your answer will have to be yes. If not then you can leave the Events where they are.

However as the Events take up most of the space, you won't be saving much. Also, if you subsequently delete those Events, then the Project won't load.
QUOTE Thanks
muddywings

muddywings is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyGem View Post
Which iMovie are you using? If iMovie11, when you plug in your external drive, you should get drive icons in both the Project and Events Libraries.

If you want to move a project to the external drive, just drag it to the icon in the Project library. You will be asked whether you want to transfer the associaited Events as well. If you want to work on the Project on another Mac, your answer will have to be yes. If not then you can leave the Events where they are.

However as the Events take up most of the space, you won't be saving much. Also, if you subsequently delete those Events, then the Project won't load.
Ok, I'm obviously missing something. I'm using iMovie 11.
I plugged in an older HD as a test. I see it in the Event Library but not in the Project Library. In fact I don't even see "Macintosh HD" in the Project Library. I just see the 8 projects I have made then above that "Edit Project" if I click into it, I go into the project as if I am building/editing it.
Honestly, I think I'm doing things out of sequence sometimes. The other issue I have is when I upload my clips to the Event I create in the Event Library, the thumbnail clips are never in the right order. They are being downloaded from a ContourGPS and have the file name: File001, 002 etc but when I upload them they are all jumbled up.
Any thoughts?
QUOTE Thanks
MightyGem

MightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. White MacBook, 10.8.5. iPhone 3GS.

Quote:
I see it in the Event Library but not in the Project Library.
It should be right at the bottom of your list of Projects in the Project library. That's where it is for me. However, the instructions in iMovie Help don't actually mention this location. They just mention the one in the Events Library and tell you to drag Projects there, so give that a try.

I use a MiniDV camcorder, so can't help with your events being out of order, I'm afraid.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MPEG to MJPEG | subtitles »