New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Out of disk space

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Mojo1027

Mojo1027 is on a distinguished road

I am doing a project in 1080i and do not have enough disk space for the fisinhed product. This video consumes (25 Mb/sec). Is there anyoe out there with advice around this problem?
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

What tools are you using for editing? the procedure for iMovie is different from the procedure for FCE/FCP(6/7), which may also even be different from FCPX

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
Mojo1027

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethfel View Post
What tools are you using for editing? the procedure for iMovie is different from the procedure for FCE/FCP(6/7), which may also even be different from FCPX
I am using FCP 7. I use iMovie to import my footage, convert it and import it into FCP 7. I have not been able to log and capture directly in to FCP 7. If there is a way to do it, it is not very intuitive.
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light

Are you using footage from an AVCHD camcorder? If you are, you should be using Log and Transfer, not Log and Capture. I would never use iMovie to import footage for FCP unless ABSOLUTELY necessary - iMovie uses AIC for its storage codec which will store 1920x1080 as 1440x1080 (anamorphic) - which means you are loosing quality right off the bat. When you import with FCP, you'll be storing it in ProRES, which does take a lot of space (more then AIC) but is an incredible codec for editing.

You need to use a drive other then your system drive for your scratch and render space (you should NEVER use your system drive as a scratch drive) - depending on the type of Mac you have will determine what kind of extra drive you can use (ie: Mac Pro - internal sata drive, iMac or Macbook Pro a firewire 800 drive, Older Macbook - firewire 400 drive, more recent Macbook - USB drive) - you will want to transfer your footage to the new drive, then in FCP, go to FCP->System Settings and set your capture and render location to be the new drive.

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
Mojo1027

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethfel View Post
Are you using footage from an AVCHD camcorder? If you are, you should be using Log and Transfer, not Log and Capture. I would never use iMovie to import footage for FCP unless ABSOLUTELY necessary - iMovie uses AIC for its storage codec which will store 1920x1080 as 1440x1080 (anamorphic) - which means you are loosing quality right off the bat. When you import with FCP, you'll be storing it in ProRES, which does take a lot of space (more then AIC) but is an incredible codec for editing.

You need to use a drive other then your system drive for your scratch and render space (you should NEVER use your system drive as a scratch drive) - depending on the type of Mac you have will determine what kind of extra drive you can use (ie: Mac Pro - internal sata drive, iMac or Macbook Pro a firewire 800 drive, Older Macbook - firewire 400 drive, more recent Macbook - USB drive) - you will want to transfer your footage to the new drive, then in FCP, go to FCP->System Settings and set your capture and render location to be the new drive.

I am using a Sony HDR Z5 camera. I used iMovie because I was not able to get FCP to recognize the camera to transfer my footage.
The video I do have will not play through smoothly in my viewer, canvas or timeline. It is stored in AppleProRes 422.
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

See: z5u Capture Problem w/ Final Cut at DVinfo.net for a potential solution to log and capture directly into FCP (since you're using a tape based camera rather then an AVCHD camera)

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 2011 Mac Mini / Thunderbolt / HDMI | iPad2 videos sent via email lose quality »