New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Some dvd's won't play on my iMac.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Niall_C

Niall_C is on a distinguished road

From what I can tell, a large majority of my Dvd's won't play on my iMac anymore, but some will. All the Dvd's I have are from the same region so i'm sure it's not a region problem. When i put the DVD into my Mac, it just spins and stops a few time (for about 40 seconds), and then spits the DVD out. And when i put one of the DVD's that won't play into my Mac, an icon doesn't show up on my screen like it usually would.
Any chance anyone could help fix this problem and i'm going to university in september and i'm not taking a tv/dvd player, and I want to be able to watch dvd's.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Can I assume we are talking about genuine, commercial DVDs?
QUOTE Thanks
Niall_C

Niall_C is on a distinguished road

Yup, all real legit dvd's that i've brought from stores
QUOTE Thanks
Mitcherooney

Mitcherooney will become famous soon enough

I'd suspect the optical drive. Have you tried the dvd's on another machine?

Cheers Mitcherooney
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Could just be dirty -- a shot or two of compressed air might do wonders -- but yes, I suspect the optical drive is going bad also.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Adobe & FCPX | Quicktime X Screen Recording Issue - Mac OS X Lion »