New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

.mkv files

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

lev19teen

lev19teen is on a distinguished road

Can anyone tell me how some .mkv play on my Panasonic gt30 and some don't???
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lev19teen View Post
Can anyone tell me how some .mkv play on my Panasonic gt30 and some don't???
That's a TV set. Does it have software built-in for playing media, or are you using something else? If it's something else, then the TV has nothing to do with this.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
lev19teen

Yes it has various access points e.g. usb, Sd card, it played one movie then would not play other which was of a larger size?
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lev19teen View Post
Yes it has various access points e.g. usb, Sd card, it played one movie then would not play other which was of a larger size?
Interestingly, I can't seem to dig up much info on this feature. Random references in other discussions, but nothing too specific. Well the problem could be any number of things. The file may simply be too high a bitrate for its software to handle, or it may not support the video or audio codec contained in the mkv file. Just to elaborate on that last part… an mkv file is a container, much like a zip file, and the actual audio and video components inside it can vary. The video itself could be an MPEG2, MPEG4, and others. The audio could be AC3, DTS, MP3, AAC, and so on. The TV's playback software may be able to handle an MKV file with MPEG4 video but not MPEG2. Perhaps AC3 but not DTS audio.

I pulled up the owner's manual for the set and here's the relevant media requirements:

• SD-Video Files (SD-Video Standard Ver.1.3) Modified data with a PC may not be displayed correctly.
• AVCHD Standard compatible files Modified data with a PC may not be displayed correctly.
• MotionJPEG files (taken with LUMIX)*
• MP4 files (Video codec H.264 | Audio codec MP3/AC-3/LPCM)
• MKV files (Video codec H.264 | Audio codec MP3/AC-3/LPCM)
• MPEG-2 PS files**
• MPEG-2 TS files**

The items with ** after them means that they are only supported via the DLNA feature. If I interpret this correctly, then it only plays back Standard Definition media (i.e. 480p or lower), not HD. If you like, post the media details of something that plays, and something that doesn't. Load the video up in VLC, then press COMMAND-I to get a Media Info window. Under Codec Details, open each stream and post the information it gives.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
lev19teen

Thanks for help whole story is both files Imax 3d movies, one copied to sd card and played the other was to large so changed format to mac os extended this allowed larger film to be copied and pasted to sd card , but although Tv media player reads name of movie, movie wont play. have attempted command-i but codec info blank.
QUOTE Thanks
lev19teen

Movie not playing H264-Mpeg-4(part10)(ach end of code not showing.
frame rate 23.976216 size 4.3GB
Audio DTs Sound rate48000Hz Bitrate 1536 kbc Channels3F2R/LFE.

Info of movie that plays exactly the same, only difference is size: player 2.95
non player 4.32Gb
can only assume Tv will only play MS-Dos file?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Higly unlikely that any TV, DVD or B-R player is going to have the capability of reading a directly attached card/drive formatted with HFS.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How to connect a Hauppauge HD PVR USB High Definition Video Recorder to my macbook pr | Cant import HD NTSC 60i to FC Express on Sony Z1 »