New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Monitor + FCP

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

validpretense

validpretense is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 1.33GHz 12" iBook; iMac G3 333Mhz; Use Dual 2Ghz PM G5's

How would you set up a (professional) video monitor to a PowerMac G5 for use with Final Cut Pro? Would you just use the $20 Apple DVI to Video adaptor, or would you need another video card?
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

you should be able to just hook up the DVI cable to the DVI ports on the back of the powermacs' video card.

edit: unless it is an older monitor i guess, then you'd need to use that connector...what monitor is this?
-chris

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
validpretense

Sorry, not a computer monitor, a pro video monitor. RCA/S-Vid inputs. And I know that the DVI to Video adaptor will connect the PowerMac to the monitor, but I want to set it up so that Final Cut automaticaly sets it as a monitor to be used with the program.
QUOTE Thanks
boarderjosh10

boarderjosh10 is on a distinguished road

if you dont mind me asking what cable are you talking about for the dvi to video, because it sounds like something I would want to buy
QUOTE Thanks
DCraver

DCraver is a jewel in the roughDCraver is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac G5

Yeah. The Apple port thing to whatever (VGA, etc) VGA one comes with all computer. (At least iMac and iBook, I know that)
QUOTE Thanks
validpretense

The video adaptor is these:
For iBook, iMac, eMac, Old PowerBook G4 12in (Mini Video)
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL....0.1.1.2.1.0.3
For PowerMac G5 / Mac Mini (Standard DVI)
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL....0.1.1.0.1.0.3
For the *current* PowerBook G4 12 inch (MiniDVI)
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL....0.1.1.1.1.0.3

I'm not talking about VGA. By 'professional video monitor' I mean kind of like a TV- RCA and Svid inpits. I kno how to connect these, but I don't know if it'll work for Final Cut to recognise it as a video monitor, so that the FCP monitor will be displeyed on the video monitor automatically, as opposed to using it as a spanning screen and centering the monitor window to match up, because I want an accurate output.
QUOTE Thanks
validpretense

I mean like this. (Photoshoped composite of google images)
QUOTE Thanks
nutter

nutter is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: dual g4 1ghz

since your editing, im sure you have a video camera with firewire and rca or s-video outputs......
connect your camera via firewire to your g5, then to the tv through the rca or s-video, then on fcp go to audio/video settings, then av devices, and select the firewire camera, or go to view>video playback, and select the firewire camera, then go to view>external video.. and select all frames...
that should work, its how i have mine set-up..
theres other ways, but this is the cheapest, since you most likely have a camera already wih these ports
QUOTE Thanks
sarahsboy18

sarahsboy18 is just really nicesarahsboy18 is just really nicesarahsboy18 is just really nicesarahsboy18 is just really nice
Mac Specs: Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition

What you are actually doing is converting the Firewire DV output created by Final Cut to an Analog Component signal for the monitor. nutter already mentioned how to setup that DV output in FCP.

If you are looking for something as a standalone solution than this can be done through a signal converter such as the Canopus ADVC110, which is what I use, or a good DV deck. As nutter mentioned the cheapest way would be to use the DV camera you are using to shoot your videos with... Which would work just fine.

The advantage of the Canopus is you also can use it to directly digitize analog signals such as a VCR or BetaSP deck as well. Whereas with a deck or camera they usually will not do an instant Analog to DV throughput... so you have to dub the Analog video to a DV tape first. But unless you will be digitizing analog sources it really won't make any difference.

"If you had a friend who was a tightrope walker, and you were walking down a sidewalk, and he fell, that would be completely unacceptable." -Mitch Hedberg
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« splitting video into parts using zip and rar | this sux but is kinda funny...... »