Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Making DVD Copies
    I recently was attempting to copy a home made non-copywrited DVD after some search I found this You Tube which I found most helpful.
    YouTube - How To Rip DVD's onto your Mac
    Bill
    2011-MBP-15 inch-200-8 gigs of ram.

I've tried that software before and found the quality of the rip to be low.

Have you had any issues with quality?

Would anyone in the know have any tips on how to boost the quality of the DVD rip?

Specs:
    15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
    Quote Originally Posted by wozman11 View Post
    I've tried that software before and found the quality of the rip to be low.

Have you had any issues with quality?

Would anyone in the know have any tips on how to boost the quality of the DVD rip?
    no issues with quality, just make sure you use the H.264 codec, with around a 60-70% quality rate or higher, and it usually turns out very nice.
    If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
    Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth

When you say around 60-70% quality rate, do you mean to use the constant quality option (in handbrake) and then slide the slider so the RF equals 60-70?

the other quality options allow you to set the average bit rate or a target size for the ripped file.

Specs:
    yep you can do that, or if you give it a very high target size, it will usually just do the best possible if it cant hit the target size.

the most important part is the codec, H.264 is far more efficient than the other codec available.
    If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)

Specs:
    3.4Ghz core i7 27 inch iMac 16Gb / OS X 10.7.4 / Apple TV 2
    If it's just ripping you need then the old version of MacTheRipper is still around, and is free. I think it's version 2.6.6. For conversion, I also use Handbrake with no quality issues.

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by BasilFawlty View Post
    If it's just ripping you need then the old version of MacTheRipper is still around, and is free. I think it's version 2.6.6. For conversion, I also use Handbrake with no quality issues.
    un-copyrighted material does not need to be ripped. you can drag the VIDEO_TS folder straight off. encoding is done with handbrake.

Thanks, all.
    I've been having success with handbrake, using "constant quality RF:20"

I must of had it set at a different quality setting the first time i used it. Im going to try and rip that video again at this new setting and see if there's a difference.

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    Actually, if your goal is to make a duplicate disc of a non-protected DVD, then Disc Utility is all you need. Just make an image of the original disc, then burn the image to the new disc. GREAT for making copies of a wedding DVD and that sort of thing.

Thanks, all.
    I've been having success with handbrake, using "constant quality RF:20"

I must of had it set at a different quality setting the first time i used it. Im going to try and rip that video again at this new setting and see if there's a difference.

So i tried to rip this DVD again, and the quality is again poor. Anybody have any ideas. The rip also comes out at 3 gigs and my other rips are btw 700mb-1.2g

Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    So i tried to rip this DVD again, and the quality is again poor. Anybody have any ideas. The rip also comes out at 3 gigs and my other rips are btw 700mb-1.2g
    No need to rip at all. See chas_m's post. Ripping is only necessary if you're trying to defeat copy protection or convert to a different format.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Quote Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
    No need to rip at all. See chas_m's post. Ripping is only necessary if you're trying to defeat copy protection or convert to a different format.
    Im trying to get rid of my dvds and just have digital copies.

Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Im trying to get rid of my dvds and just have digital copies.
    OK. Just to be clear, anytime you use compression, you lose quality - period. It seems like you're looking for an exact replica of the original, and I think your expectations might be too high.

What I do (and find to have acceptable quality) is to use the AppleTV preset in Handbrake. Since the AppleTV is 720P (and so is my TV), I usually get a very nice picture as a result. Is it absolutely perfect? No. But I'd rather have the slight degradation then have to upgrade the disks in my NAS.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Quote Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
    OK. Just to be clear, anytime you use compression, you lose quality - period. It seems like you're looking for an exact replica of the original, and I think your expectations might be too high.

What I do (and find to have acceptable quality) is to use the AppleTV preset in Handbrake. Since the AppleTV is 720P (and so is my TV), I usually get a very nice picture as a result. Is it absolutely perfect? No. But I'd rather have the slight degradation then have to upgrade the disks in my NAS.

The issue Im having is that this particular DVD comes out looking A LOT worse than the other dvds Ive ripped using handbrake. The quality on my other rips are fine. The file size of the rip on this pesky dvd is also 3x the size of the other rips. With runtime of the DVDs being similar.

I will try the AppleTV preset.

Specs:
    drag the Audio/Video_TS folders onto your mac, and you have exactly whats on the disc. as cwa107 says, encoding (essentially turning it into a nice playable format like mp4 or avi) will lose quality. If you dont want to lose any quality, just drag the VIDEO_TS folder to your Mac somewhere, and open it as a disc in VLC. thats a 1:1 copy you are watching.

Thread Information