New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

How do i play NTSC dvds on macpro?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Shanez

Shanez is on a distinguished road

Hey guys,

I just got some blue ray dvds from amazon but i did not realize they were in different region, ntsc! and i cant seem to get them to work on my mac pro, i put them in and they keep getting spit back out, it does not even read the discs, how do i get this to work? can i change regions somehow, i think you can but i read somewhere you can only do this a few times before it gets locked? and its apparently dodgy to do this to your system

Anyway i dont know what to do so if you could help me id appreciate it

Thanks
Shane
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Are they Blu-Ray Discs or DVDs? If the former, you won't have any luck because there is no player software that cane decode Blu-Ray on the Mac at this time (nor do any Macs come equipped with a Blu-Ray player).

If they're DVDs (big difference), then you can just use the free VLC Media Player to play them.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Shanez

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Are they Blu-Ray Discs or DVDs? If the former, you won't have any luck because there is no player software that cane decode Blu-Ray on the Mac at this time (nor do any Macs come equipped with a Blu-Ray player).

If they're DVDs (big difference), then you can just use the free VLC Media Player to play them.
They are blue ray discs
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanez View Post
They are blue ray discs
Sorry, Macs don't play commercial Blu-Ray discs. Your only option would be to get a Blu-Ray drive and boot the machine under Windows and then get a player that can play them - of course you will likely run into region-encoding issues with that as well.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Shanez

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Sorry, Macs don't play commercial Blu-Ray discs. Your only option would be to get a Blu-Ray drive and boot the machine under Windows and then get a player that can play them - of course you will likely run into region-encoding issues with that as well.
hmm, does the new ps3 play these, even if they are different regions?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanez View Post
hmm, does the new ps3 play these, even if they are different regions?
That I don't know, but given it's a Sony DRM-loving device, I wouldn't imagine it does.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Converting MKV files | Adobe Premiere Pro video playback »