New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Black preview window in iMovie 2011

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

PokehFace

PokehFace is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB Ram

Hey guys.

I've been using iMovie 11 since I got my Mac a few months ago and so far it's been working great - but lately I've been having issues with the preview window showing up blank - video doesn't display in the preview window and audio doesn't come through either (even though the video is "playing").

I've found a workaround but it takes a lot of time - the only fix is for me to alt-click, Optimise Video (Large 960x540). I've only got the 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro so the extra optimisation process takes a long time - and it's also quite a bit of hassle too, since I didn't have to do this before.

This solution also seems to spoil the quality of the video when I encode at a HD resolution (mainly 720p).

I've heard of another fix which I'd rather not go forward with - which is to reinstall the entire Operating System again. I can easily do this, but issues like this are the reason why I made the jump to OS X in the first place so I'm not particularly impressed if this is the case.

Any solutions would be appreciated, thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
Dizzi45Z

Dizzi45Z is on a distinguished road

Did you find a solution? I am struggling with this exact problem too.

-Dave Zimmerman
Intel Mac Pro Quad Core 2.6 Xeon, 11GB RAM OS 10.6.2
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« DMG (Family Movies) to iMovie | AVI files on Mac OSX? »