New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

HD Gaming Capture for 27” iMac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Nemphtis

Nemphtis is on a distinguished road

Greetings all,

I’d like to start by apologizing if this has been asked already. I did a quick search and many related discussions were over a year old so I wanted to get some updated advice. I own a 27” iMac and I’m looking for a way to record my video game footage from my TV onto the iMac for editing and uploading to sites like YouTube.

It needs to capture in high definition as I have previously owned a Dazzle device and found the software and video quality terrible. I did a couple of Google searches and people are often suggesting the Hauppauge HD PVR, which is the device I was set on purchasing, but I’m also seeing people suggest something called the EyeTV, and would like some information on this from those of you who have any experience with it.

I’m working with a web design company to get a gaming blog online and gameplay recordings alongside live streams are a big part of this project, however I did not expect to run into trouble when selecting video capture equipment (should have picked up the Mac Pro when I had the chance).

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions.
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" i3 500gb HDD 4gb RAM OSX 10.9.2 - iPhone 5s 16gb

I have used this before and it does work very well. This following video should answer a few questions for you...
YouTube - Play Xbox 360 on a Mac! (EyeTV Hybrid Review)

Hope this helps

- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the bottom of the users profile.
May 2011
Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" i3 500gb HDD 4gb RAM OSX 10.9.2 - iPhone 5s 16gb

Please note you need the EyeTV Hybrid as this can stream both Digital and analogue unlike the EyeTV DTT which only streams digital.

- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the bottom of the users profile.
May 2011
Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011
QUOTE Thanks
Nemphtis

Thanks for the speedy reply, Buzz. I’m just flicking through the video in your link now and it seems he is explaining how to play an Xbox 360 using your iMac as the screen. I already own a 32” HDTV and would like to play on that, I simply need the iMac to capture the video/sound so I can edit and then upload it to YouTube. I assume you already understood this, but I wanted to clarify it just in case as I don’t want to end up buying the wrong product.

The author of the video also states that the EyeTV Hybrid does not do HD, is this what you were talking about with the two difference versions in your second post? Judging by the Google chatter, I was under the assumption that I needed an EyeTV HD - am I mistaken?
QUOTE Thanks
Nemphtis

Can I trouble you guys for a little more advise on this topic before I commit myself to a purchase? I'm a little confused about which EyeTV product I need as I assumed the EyeTV HD was the one but Buzz has mentioned the EyeTV Hybrid. I think I'm a little more confused than when I started out!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemphtis View Post
... I already own a 32” HDTV and would like to play on that, I simply need the iMac to capture the video/sound so I can edit and then upload it to YouTube. ...
??? How are you expecting to capture the video on your Mac without the video going to your Mac?

I would suggest you head for the El Gato forums. They have doubtless had the question asked many times and should be able to direct you to the most appropriate piece of hardware.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Nemphtis

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
??? How are you expecting to capture the video on your Mac without the video going to your Mac?

I would suggest you head for the El Gato forums. They have doubtless had the question asked many times and should be able to direct you to the most appropriate piece of hardware.

Thanks for the tip Bob, will make a topic in there and see what's up. I think I'm mixing things up, I understand I need to have the video get over to the Mac but I've managed to confuse myself, the EyeTV Hybrid puts the video onto my Mac if I'm not mistaken, but I'm not entirely sure how to record that video. Do I use screen capture software like ScreenFlow, or something else?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

I believe all of their hardware is packaged with their EyeTV software which would be used for the recording. You need to browse their site and read about their different products so that you can make an educated decision and not one based solely off what someone else says.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Nemphtis

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
I believe all of their hardware is packaged with their EyeTV software which would be used for the recording. You need to browse their site and read about their different products so that you can make an educated decision and not one based solely off what someone else says.
It looks like the EyeTV HD is what I need, since that is the only product I can see which captures in HD using component. It does indeed seem like the software for recording is included, and from what I've read online, the software isn't as bad as most that come with this kind of hardware. I've made a topic on their forum, so assuming they confirm what I think then it's probably a safe bet to place my order.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Uploading a video from imovie to facebook | iMovie 9 vs Adobe Premiere Elements 9...better by miles! »