New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

video advice please

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dennett1953

dennett1953 is on a distinguished road

Hi,
I have a video sized 2.6GB on a dvd which I want to upload to you tube and then publish on a website.

Firstly i want to rip this dvd onto my hard drive and secondly , I need to reduce the size of the video.

I am new to this and any advice would be appreciated

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
dennett1953

actually the video is only 171mb in size but will still need reducing
QUOTE Thanks
MightyGem

MightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. White MacBook, 10.8.5. iPhone 3GS.

Size wise you are not far off as the limit for YouTube is 2GB. However, for the standard user, I think you are limited to 10 minutes.

Handbrake will be best for getting it off of the DVD.
QUOTE Thanks
dennett1953

Thanks , regarding Handbrake , they give you two options to download , one is intel and the other is ppc- which is best - I dont understand what the two options are
QUOTE Thanks
trademark

trademark has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: i7 iMac; 8gb DDR3 ram; ati mobility 4850; 1tb seagate harddrive @7200rpm

Powerpc is the old cpu architecture apple used for older macs. You can find out which you have by going to about your mac, then download the appropriate version.

Youtube limits the bitrate at which your video plays, so it's best to choose the highest quality codec and features to help with its quality. Youtube gives 800kbps for anything under 720p, 200kbps for 720p and 3500kbps for 1080p material.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Youtube videos jumpy (video) | Final Cut Pro 7 - high temperatures when using log and transfer (?). »