New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

work around for H.264

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rdsii64

rdsii64 is on a distinguished road

If you got a new HD camcorder as a gift that records h.264 instead of something that either imovie 11 or final cut express can work with, whats the best work around.
QUOTE Thanks
Ghostshadow

Ghostshadow is a jewel in the roughGhostshadow is a jewel in the roughGhostshadow is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iBook G3 - You'll be missed.

iMovie and Final Cut should have no issues working with the h.264 files. If you're having trouble importing them, you might need to convert the files so they can be read by either program.

May I suggest, MPEG Streamclip - it works wonders. Squared 5 - MPEG Streamclip video converter for Mac and Windows

If nothing else, you could exchange the camcorder for something else.

QUOTE Thanks
Fatboydim

Fatboydim is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro

Is it a canon HD camcorder by any chance?
QUOTE Thanks
MightyGem

MightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. White MacBook, 10.8.5. iPhone 3GS.

h264 is not designed as a format for editing. Use MPEGStreamclip and export to Quicktime, using the Apple Intermediate Codec setting.
QUOTE Thanks
duncanbrodie1

duncanbrodie1 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" Macbook Pro i7, 500Gb / 32Gb iPhone 4 / 16Gb Ipod Touch, 4th Gen / 30Gb Ipod Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostshadow View Post
iMovie and Final Cut should have no issues working with the h.264 files.

Actually final cut handles H.264 terribly.
it is in my opinion unacceptably bad.
If you are working with H.264 I would recommend (like others have already) that you use MPEG Streamclip to convert to Apple ProRes 422 for the best results.
QUOTE Thanks
daytrade

daytrade is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5 Late 2010

I am disappointed in the approach that Apple have to a very expensive machine. I find it totally absurd that you have to use a third party software to then use iMovie! I wish Apple would sort this out, I have had problems with the codec in terms of HD movies and Apple have done nothing to address this. I would suggest exploring Adobe Premiere Elements 9, as I recently purchased a copy and the finished results are very good!
QUOTE Thanks
codda

codda is a jewel in the roughcodda is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 21.5 iMac 3.06 ghz 12gb ram 500g HD iPad 2 16G

If the OP truly has iMovie ( at least 09/11 ) iMovie will automatically convert the H.264 into AIC for editing. As for FCE/FCP a conversion would be necessary...AIC/ProRes 422 respectively...As others mentioned MPEG Streamclip would work...no surprises here...its a common workflow....
QUOTE Thanks
daytrade

daytrade is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5 Late 2010

As I understand, after doing much research as I am not a professional user, merely an amateur user wishing to produce decent quality video (!), iMovie and FCE use AIC (therefore the same results) and FCP does not utilise AIC, but as this is aimed specifically at the pro market, this would put this out of the reach of most amateur users.

It is a real shame that Apple's codec is not adequate for most camcorder formats in producing HD as per the native format. I would suggest that a free trial of Adobe's software would give the opportunity of testing their software, unlike iMovie.
QUOTE Thanks
MightyGem

MightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. White MacBook, 10.8.5. iPhone 3GS.

AIC is a Quicktime codec. iMovie converts all imported video to DV.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Rip DVD to MOV | help with burning dvd for showing at event »