03-13-2011, 09:47 AM #1
using final cut express on old g4 / g5 mac
- Member Since
- Nov 03, 2010
Few questions regarding video editing on an old mac. I'm looking to do some editing (not simple, but not massively complex) and want to use final cut express- ideally i'd but a shiny new imac and fce from the mac store....unfortunately i don't have the cash. Looking round ebay, i see i can pick up a g4/g5 power mac for £100-£200. Although technology has moved on massively in the last 3/4 years, i'm assuming that these machines were once up to the job (and more). I could shoot SD video if that would help.
So i guess my questions are:
1) Would a G4/G5 mac be reliable and up to the job?
2) What are the minimum specs i'd require?
3) Would I be able to load up a recent copy of FCE onto an old mac or would i be better off trying to get hold of an old copy?
I've only started to use macs recently and really love the FC interface- I used to edit on PCs professionally (but wouldn't trust them to get the job done at this price).
All thoughts welcomed
Thanks very much
03-13-2011, 09:31 PM #2
- Member Since
- Jun 25, 2005
- On the road
- 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
1) For SD yes. For HD, well people have edited HDV on such systems.
2) Apple - Final Cut Express - Technical Specifications
Also take note of the AVCHD requirement.3) That link is for the current version of FCE.CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.
When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.
Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)
By burnedfaceless in forum Music, Audio, and PodcastingReplies: 0Last Post: 03-05-2013, 02:57 PM
By the editor1411 in forum OS X - Operating SystemReplies: 1Last Post: 05-12-2010, 03:39 PM
By jamieemm in forum OS X - Apps and GamesReplies: 1Last Post: 12-10-2006, 12:55 PM
By Rydel in forum Movies and VideoReplies: 1Last Post: 06-25-2006, 10:27 PM