New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Toast Titanium 11 Pro

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

sightwindow

sightwindow is on a distinguished road

Greetings all! New to this game and appreciate any help.

I'm creating a high school football highlight DVD. Footage is coming from several sources including homemade DVDs and my hard drive. Naturally, I want to import all footage into IMovie - of which I'm comfortable working with - and then burn the disc with the use of Toast Titanium 11, which I just purchased.

I was under the impression I could rip the footage from the homemade DVDs and convert it into an IMovie-friendly format with Toast, but am not having much luck thus far.

Anybody got solutions or steps I'm missing?
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

use Handbrake to rip the footage.

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
QUOTE Thanks
sightwindow

OK, Handbrake seems to be the consensus here and from others at the Apple help line. But how to use it? There's not exactly a whole lot to go on on their website.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by sightwindow View Post
OK, Handbrake seems to be the consensus here and from others at the Apple help line. But how to use it? There's not exactly a whole lot to go on on their website.
Pretty simple. When the program first opens, a file requester dialog should be the first thing you're presented with. Click on the disc in the left pane under 'Devices' and it should start scanning the disc. Once it does, click "Toggle Presets" on the right and choose "Normal" (I actually like to use AppleTV, since that's optimized for a typical 720P display). Then set your output path/filename and click "Go". It's that easy.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
sightwindow

It really was that easy! Much obliged on the handbrake info.

Now what. It's a .m4v file on my desktop. I want to work with it in Imovie. I imagine I need to convert it. Will Toast make it usable so that I can play with the footage in Imovie?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by sightwindow View Post
It really was that easy! Much obliged on the handbrake info.

Now what. It's a .m4v file on my desktop. I want to work with it in Imovie. I imagine I need to convert it. Will Toast make it usable so that I can play with the footage in Imovie?
Have you actually tried to import it into iMovie? I haven't done it myself, but I thought the output would be compatible directly.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
sightwindow

The file is still "grayed out", so no-go on importing into Imovie just yet. It's showing as an m4v file and did manage to get itself into Itunes. Thanks for the help.
QUOTE Thanks
ravigodhwani

ravigodhwani is on a distinguished road

hey guys, i am in a similar situation, and didn't think it was necessary to start a new thread. i have created a video with premiere pro cs5 and am burning the final with toast. my question is, after toast converts it to dvd, and burns it once, can i save the toast file and then burn more copies later without having to do the whole trans-coding (i believe that's what it's called), and just burn more. I need to make about 30 copies so I was looking for the easiest/quickest way.

the original disc took about 3 hours to convert and burn, and the second disc took about 10 minutes to burn. I want to be able to burn more over the next few days in the 10 minute style, say after a restart of the computer or something.
QUOTE Thanks
sightwindow

The file actually shows as a MPEG-4 file. The Apple Tech Support rep said if it was a MPEG-4 Simple Profile, it would work. Getting there, according to her, requires going through Handbrake again. No problem there, just need some guidance in achieving it.

She also forwarded a list of additional compatible formats: DV, DV Widescreen, HDV 1080i (25 and 30 fps), 720p (25 and 30 fps) and iSight.

Question is, how do I customize the Handbrake process to achieve one of the above formats?
QUOTE Thanks
sightwindow

QUICKTIME MPEG-2 PLAYBACK-MAC OS X-INT purchased thru Apple enables MPEG Streamclip (suggested by Handbrake FAQ) to convert to DV pretty easily, supposedly a better way to work in IMovie. Thanks to everyone!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Popcorn 4 | Drop size of mkv files »