New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

iMovie problem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

I can't really tell what you are doing. What part of the process is this happening at? After you've edited all your footage into the timeline? When you say "finalize", are you talking about the process of finishing the footage in the camera, or are you referring to exporting the final movie? What file format are the movies getting imported as? Are you looking under the Share menu to find all the different export options?

This is really one of those things that's much easier to understand visually. It's really hard for me to imagine what exactly your problem is without seeing what you're actually doing. It sounds like you might have skipped a step somewhere, because I think you have to export the project as a movie file before you can create a YouTube or another version. Did you watch or ready any tutorials before you started?

If you're near an Apple Store, I would sign up for one of their free instructional seminars. There is probably one for iMovie.

Here is a series of iMovie tutorials on the Apple site. These are almost always a good place to start if you're new to Macs. In fact, one of them is specifically about exporting for YouTube.

Apple - Find Out How - Movies - iMovie

Also, try looking in the Help menu in iMovie. There's a lot of information there too.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razormac View Post
I highly recommend this.

Amazon.com: iMovie '09 & iDVD: The Missing Manual (9780596801410): David Pogue, Aaron Miller: Books

iMovie works very well, but I have NEVER found it to be particularly intuitive (maybe my brain is wired differently than the programmers).
Sometimes there isn't a substitute for reading the manual (or a well written book on the subject).

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
MontanaMac

MontanaMac will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 27" OS X 10.6.4 / 3.2 GHz / Intel Core i3 / 4 GB 13333 MHz DDR3

I meant to say export, which I guess meant the same as finalize in WMM. I am now able to export short movies, but I haven't figured out yet how to get them to play in a regular DVD player to watch on a TV. Here's info on the movie. I'll be reading the manual some more.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

in order to get a movie that plays on regular DVD players export the movie ti iDVD. Also try using DVD-r discs. There are still some players that don't like RW discs or DvD+R.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
MontanaMac

OK, I exported this little one minute movie to iDVD, then it just disappears when it's done creating it and I can't find it to play it. How do I get it to where I can burn it?
QUOTE Thanks
MightyGem

MightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. White MacBook, 10.8.5. iPhone 3GS.

After you've shared it(not exported) to iDVD you need to burn it to a dvd. The iDVD Help files will be useful for this.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyGem View Post
After you've shared it(not exported) to iDVD you need to burn it to a dvd. The iDVD Help files will be useful for this.
Thanks for that correction MightyGem. I was working from memory on a procedure that I don't do very often.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
MontanaMac

I'll do some reading. Those introductory files aren't much help though, I know all the stuff that's in those already as they don't get technical. Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

Many times the problem you're having is not technical, it's just that you missed a simple step. For instance, choosing Export from the Share menu instead of the YouTube or iDVD options will cause different things to happen. Exporting will let you save an .mov of the movie to any location you want. Choosing iDVD will send the project to your iWeb Movie Projects folder in your Movies folder.

I would watch those tutorials I linked to or read one of the manuals to make sure you're following the correct steps. I'd do this BEFORE starting any project.
QUOTE Thanks
MontanaMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razormac View Post
I highly recommend this.

Amazon.com: iMovie '09 & iDVD: The Missing Manual (9780596801410): David Pogue, Aaron Miller: Books

iMovie works very well, but I have NEVER found it to be particularly intuitive (maybe my brain is wired differently than the programmers).
I have iMovie 11. I wonder how much has changed. I see on my iPad apps there is a new release (Feb 2011) called "Tutor For "iMovie 11" for $3.99 Not many reviews yet, but looks like 5 Star. Sorry bout the orientation. Ipad saved it that way
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Amazon.com: iMovie '11 & iDVD: The Missing Manual (9781449393274): David Pogue, Aaron Miller: Books

The version for iMovie 11 is coming and available for preorder, but don't know when it will be released.

I have several of the Missing Manual series and find them to be helpful and usually well written.

For me iMovie takes some getting used to how it does things. People may say it s obvious, but not to me.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Upgraded to iLife '11 and now iPhoto/iMovie issues galore | How can Toast compress a movie that I ripped using Mac the Ripper? »