New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Quicktime 7 Pro won't install because another Quicktime is there

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

m.greenwood

m.greenwood is on a distinguished road

I just paid $29.00 for Quicktime 7 Pro, which says it only works with Quicktime 7 free player. So I downloaded Quicktime 7 free player, but it refuses to install because a version of Quicktime player (10.0) is already on the machine. I can't find a way to uninstall it, and read elsewhere that I can't uninstall it because it's used by iTunes. What do I have to do to be able to use Quicktime 7 Pro? The Apple forums seem to be down, a message says "we'll return soon."
I want to use Quicktime 7 Pro because it says I can make an image from a single video frame. Is this old software? Should I look for something else? The price was right, and I don't seem to be able to do this using iMovie.

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
McYukon

McYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9

Try this,
Go to Mac HD/Library/Receipts and move all bundles with QuickTime in their name to the desktop and try again.

And are you absolutely sure that you have the correct QT version?
I assume you are on Snow Leopard, http://support.apple.com/kb/DL923

Use the reputation system if a post helps you!
Mac Forums IRC Channel - Help build it by hanging out with us
The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.
QUOTE Thanks
m.greenwood

m.greenwood is on a distinguished road

Thanks, McYukon, for your response. I spent almost 2 hours on the phone with Apple, went through 4 layers of reps to someone who finally explained how to have both versions of QT at the same time. I had to reinstall QT7 from my original disk, into the UTILITIES folder, then open it and put in my registration information which installed QT7 Pro into QT7. This leaves QT10 still operating within iTunes, residing in the Applications folder. This rep was amazing, did a remote view of my screen, walked me through it to make sure everything worked right, and THEN answered a couple of other unrelated questions and showed me some shortcuts along the way I didn't know about. I'd say I definitely got a good value from Apple today!
QUOTE Thanks
McYukon

McYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9

Cool! Glad you got it fixed

Use the reputation system if a post helps you!
Mac Forums IRC Channel - Help build it by hanging out with us
The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iDVD crashes when I share an iMovie file | iMovie 6 and Changing orientation of movie »