New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Will my MBP write to DVD+R discs?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

AUZambo

AUZambo will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2006 Macbook Pro 15.4" glossy screen, 2.16 ghz, 640 gb, 2 gb ram

I need to buy some double layer DVD-R discs because an iDVD project I created is just a smidgeon too large for a standard DVD-R disc. On Amazon and Newegg the vast majority of DL discs are DVD+R and not DVD-R.

What's the difference between the two?

Will my 2006 MBP write to a DVD+R disc?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

I don't believe your MBP will burn DL at all. At least my old 2006 model didn't have that capability. You can check it by looking in the System Profiler (Apple Menu => About This Mac => More Info => Go to the Hardware category, click on Disc Burning).

You should see a summary like this:

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
AUZambo

AUZambo will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2006 Macbook Pro 15.4" glossy screen, 2.16 ghz, 640 gb, 2 gb ram

Sweet....thanks. I didn't see the "Disc Burning" option when I was looking at system profiler. Turns out mine will write to a DVD+R DL, but not a DVD-R DL. Go figure.

So, what's the difference between the "+R" and the "-R"?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUZambo View Post
Sweet....thanks. I didn't see the "Disc Burning" option when I was looking at system profiler. Turns out mine will write to a DVD+R DL, but not a DVD-R DL. Go figure.

So, what's the difference between the "+R" and the "-R"?
When writeable DVDs were just coming on the market, there was a war of conflicting standards much like there was when HD-DVD/Blu-Ray came on the market. In the end, drive manufacturers just started building combo drives that could read/write all or nearly all of the different standards.

The difference is mostly in the media. I find that +R discs tend to be the most compatible with set-top DVD players, but YMMV.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Digital projector | Final Cut Pro on the new 2.2GHz i7 MacBook Pros »