New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

iDVD crashes when I share an iMovie file

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

djdavas

djdavas is on a distinguished road

I have been working several hours on an imovie project and when I try to share the file with the idvd program, it crushes. If I run idvd first and try to drag and drop the file, I get the message "This is not a movie file". It is strange because I have made several dvds this way and it is the first time I cannot get a solution. Even though the imovie file plays perfectly with the imovie app, it cannot be recognized from idvd. I have exported the file as a full quality quicktime movie and have burned it on a dvd without menus and the quality is not good enough. I have also tried to work on a new mac book pro with the latest software and it doesn't even recognize the file as an imovie project. I can only open the contents of the file. Any suggestions? My software version is mac OSX 10.4.11. Perian, flip for mac, mpeg stream clip are also installed on my hd. Thank you in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
MightyGem

MightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. White MacBook, 10.8.5. iPhone 3GS.

Which iMovie are you using? iMovie6HD? Try trashing iDVD's plist found in Home Folder>Library>Preferences>com.apple.iDVD.plist

Make another short movie and see if iDVD does the same. Try using a different account and see if it works, or not.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), BenQ second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB

ps. The word you want is "crashes."

PPS. Perian, wonderful as it is, has been tied to some weirdness with iDVD. Try uninstalling Perian and Flip4Mac, then proceeding as normal.

Also, super important: make sure you have TONS of free hard drive space on your boot drive. I mean A LOT, at least 20GB or more. Video programs need TONS of free space to do their thing.
QUOTE Thanks
djdavas

djdavas is on a distinguished road

I did everything you have suggested and I get the message, "unsupported file type: unknown format". Perian and flip for mac are now uninstalled and my free space in my boot drive is about 160gb. I trashed idvd's plist and tried again. I guess there is a corruption in my imovie file and I do not know how to fix it. My idvd version is 6.0.4, and my imovie version is 6.0.3. Imovie still crashes when I try to share with idvd. (See? I use the correct word now). Any ideas? Thank you chas-m for my language correction and thank you both very much for your reply.
QUOTE Thanks
MightyGem

MightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. White MacBook, 10.8.5. iPhone 3GS.

You have plenty of free space on your HDD. I have successfully shared 1hour videos to iDVD with around 30GB of HDD space.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Burn disc to DVD player | Quicktime 7 Pro won't install because another Quicktime is there »