New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

iMovie 9 vs Adobe Premiere Elements 9...better by miles!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

daytrade

daytrade is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5 Late 2010

Having exhausted attempts (even phoning Apple's tec support for hours failed to resolve this) to produce a good quality HD movie from iMovie 9 some months ago, I have read a number of reviews that spoke highly of Adobe Premiere Elements 9. I downloaded a trial version and have to say that, post editing, the finished article is far superior to that of iMovie. The HD video is exactly that...HD! Also, the added feature of Dolby Digital sound. Come on Apple... where are you! This is why I bought an iMac in the first place!!!

Most of the problem I encountered with iMovie was Apple's own codec (AIC) which I discovered reduces the quality of the native file (.MTS from my Sony SR12E) during the file upload. I do, however, prefer the features and interface of iMovie and wanted to know if Apple were going to improve the program any time soon?

I know that I am certainly not alone after reading similar threads on this (excellent) forum. For a non-professional user, I can easily produce something of reasonable quality, but due to the failings of Apple's iMovie, I had delved deeper into the technical stuff (a little tricky given the non-professional status!) and the codec is the real issue here.

Adobe have produced an excellent editor but lacks the features and 'MAC' feel and interface. Its a shame you cant get a mix of the two!

Anyone else had a moment of discovery?
QUOTE Thanks
codda

codda is a jewel in the roughcodda is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 21.5 iMac 3.06 ghz 12gb ram 500g HD iPad 2 16G

Apple AIC is only applied during the preview process and is not indicative of the final render quality... I would be surprised that the final outcome was not what you expected unless one of your settings was askew..Not blaming just suggesting. Many people have great success and produce high quality movies from iMovie 09...
QUOTE Thanks
daytrade

I wish it was something I had incorrectly set, but having spoken to Apple about the quality I was experiencing, it looks like its the AIC which is the issue and only improves if you purchase Final Cut Pro!
QUOTE Thanks
SlyTX

SlyTX is on a distinguished road

Did you buy an iMac so you could properly edit video?
QUOTE Thanks
daytrade

Yes, I'm a bit disappointed as this was the main reason for the purchase of a MAC.

HD home movies are great but frustrating as the editing/software side has not caught up yet! A little premature I think!!! I might have to wait even longer (already been a year) to see something satisfactory.
QUOTE Thanks
codda

What about FCE...it's only 169.00 at B&H Photo...( an incredible deal actually ) same interface as FCP..doesn't have everything FCP has but huge capability over iMovie and your on the same FCP platform so when the time comes...also accepts third party plug-ins...
QUOTE Thanks
daytrade

I bought FCE and later found out that it uses the same codec, namely AIC, so no better really!
QUOTE Thanks
daytrade

Still no luck with Apple, so I bought Adobe's Premiere Elements 9 and the results are fantastic. HD video with no degradation in quality, so it can be done!!!

Shame I had to buy more software as I really like the user interface and some other features in iMove 11.
QUOTE Thanks
codda

Got any comparisons...? I've used iMovie 09/11 without any quality issues and would put it up against anything else with regard to final render...also considering the original source material.
QUOTE Thanks
daytrade

Codda,

I have comparisons and Apple's tec support have also agreed that the quality of the HD finished video is sub-standard. I am very surprised as I am using a Sony video camera and an iMac for editing but the results are very poor, this is why I ended up having to buy Adobe Premiere Elements.
QUOTE Thanks
codda

I just wonder why it would vary from computer to computer...as I mentioned...I get what I consider to be stellar final outcomes from my machine using iMovie 11 and a Canon t2i w/H.264 files no conversion necessary using standard high def. render settings....
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« HD Gaming Capture for 27 iMac | Rip DVD to MOV »