New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Importing a DVD into a Mac editing App

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Mr. D

Mr. D is on a distinguished road

(1.) I need to import a Non Copyguarded DVD directly into a Mac Movie editing application hopefully (digital to digital using the Super Drive) if not then analog to digital by Firewire. I'm sick of running it through a digital cameras into iMovie and having it chopped up into little frames for no reason!

(2.) Has anyone ever come up with a update or "FIX" for the old, simple to use iMovie 4.0 that allows it to work with O.S. 10? I've developed some work arounds that allow it to work with allot of effort, but what a pain! Why couldn't Apple see that the iMovie 4.0 approach was all some customers wanted. Most don't want to make Avatar in their basement, just vacation movies!

(3.) Is Final Cut Pro better at importing an entire movie at once to make small changes?

(4.) Can Final Cut Pro import through the Super Drive like a sensible computer should be able to!

HELP!
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

What version of iMovie are you using at the moment?
I know of a work around for iMovie 8, which may work for 9 I guess.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
Mr. D

Mr. D is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevriano View Post
What version of iMovie are you using at the moment?
I know of a work around for iMovie 8, which may work for 9 I guess.
I don't use O.S. 10 Versions of iMovie because I can't figure out how to import 70-90 minutes of video in one clip. In most cases I just need to edit a few areas and don't want to deal with all those short clips. In the ancient iMovie 4.0 you could input 90 minutes in 9 minute plus clips and just deal with only those clips you wanted to edit.

If you have a work around or know the correct way to do any of the things I mentioned it would be helpful. I'm sure much of my problem is ignorance for sure because I haven't fought through learning the O.S. 10 Versions of iMovie. iMovie 4.0 was so simple & user friendly I got spoiled.

Is Final Cut Pro easier to use?

Thanx for the response,
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

I find it interesting that you have experienced iMovie importing as lots of small clips when importing from the camera. My relatively limited experience of it was not like that, it just imported the whole video in one clip from my DV camera, and I had to split it where I wanted (it was footage of my band). This is using iMovie 09 by the way, which I know was massively improved over 08, so it may be worth the small effort to try it out again. Take a read of this review for some more detail if you wish:

iMovie 09

Anyway, back to the workaround for importing from VIDEO_TS.

# Insert the DVD you want to transfer to iMovie.
# Launch Disk Utility.app (found in the Utilities folder under Applications).
# Select the DVD and click the New Image icon located in the toolbar.
# Name your image and select a save location (I normally save to the desktop).
# Once you have your image, doubleclick to mount it.
# Launch iMovie. The program should automatically recognize the DVD image and begin processing the files.

As I say, it may work for you, but no guarantee.

As for Final Cut, No, far more complex I think you'll find, though ultimately better. Honestly iMovie 09 is more than capable IMO.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Burning AVI files in Toast v10 | BBC Iplayer »