New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Best HD camera for iMovie '09... or '11

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

frailin

frailin is on a distinguished road

Hi

I am upgrading my old DV video cameras to HD.

I bought a Canon HF200 based on the product's reviews. Now I find I must CONVERT the MTS files to .mov before I can use them. That process is extremely time consuming.

I'm wondering if there is an HD camera that records in DV or .mov or ANYTHING that does NOT need to be converted in order for iMovie to use.

Or, does anyone know if iMovie '11 works with MTS HD files?

Thanks.

Craig
QUOTE Thanks
daytrade

daytrade is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5 Late 2010

I had a similar issue when I uploaded my Sony MTS video files to iMovie 09 (now iMovie11).

The biggest problem I found is that during the conversion, Apples codec - AIC, converts the data to its own 'readable' file and during this conversion, after editing, I found that I lost the benefit of HD in a reduction in the quality of video (and lost surround audio too!). I have spoken to Apple and the codec is the main factor. Only Final Cut Pro has the appropriate codec that allows HD reproduction, but this program is not only very expensive, but is really aimed at the professional editor.

Nevertheless, I am just in the throws of buying Adobe Premiere Elements 9 as I understand that this will resolve the HD quality issue. I do wish that Apple would provide a codec that does not degrade the MTS HD files and that these are 'editable' in there native format.

Sorry I cant offer a direct solution, but whilst iMovie is a great editing platform it lacks the quality of a true HD finished product.
QUOTE Thanks
frailin

Hi daytrade. Thanks for the response!

Yikes! Are you saying, no matter what camera I use, iMovie does NOT allow me to produce/copy HD movies?

IF that's the case, is that why you're moving to Adobe Premiere Elements 9?

And, if that's the case, why Adobe and not Final Cut Elements (or Pro)?

Thanks in advance for your insights!!

Craig
QUOTE Thanks
daytrade

daytrade is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5 Late 2010

My own experience is that the MTS files during conversion lose the HD quality. I am not sure that this is the case for all video cameras but before I replace my Sony I thought I would try a different program. I have been trying to find a suitable editing program for many months and reading various reviews to try to educate myself. I did try Final Cut Express, but this has the same CODEC as iMovie. I understand Final Cut Pro has the CODEC to produce an HD video without loss but this is out of my budget!

I am going to test Adobe's program and see if the reviews are correct, as it seems a little daft to import HD to end up reducing it to standard definition??!!

Cheers
John
QUOTE Thanks
frailin

John. I just edited HD in iMovie, saved as a HD .mov and posted it on youtube. It looks to be working!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Terrible conversion issues | Topping and tailing clips »