New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

External mic . . .

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

michael180

michael180 is on a distinguished road

I want to use an external mic, for a voiceover in an iMovie project. But I don't find that I have the option for an external mic. When I go to System Preferences, and click the Sound option, there is nothing there for an external mic. Am I missing something?
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Do you have the mic, and if so have you plugged it in and to where?

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
michael180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevriano View Post
Do you have the mic, and if so have you plugged it in and to where?
Yes, but I have the wrong kind of mic. I've have one which plugs into the small audio input in the back of computer. I probably need a USD mic.
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

No you can plug it into the line in/out port on your Mac if it's a 3.5mm jack.
Once plugged in it should show up in preferences.
That applies if you do find you have the wrong Mic, and need to change it.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
michael180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevriano View Post
No you can plug it into the line in/out port on your Mac if it's a 3.5mm jack.
Once plugged in it should show up in preferences.
That applies if you do find you have the wrong Mic, and need to change it.
I plugged it in, but it didn't show up. I had but four options for the Input on the Sound panel:

Line in
Digital in
Display Audio
AirPhones Speakers

That's it. Nothing about an external mic. I have OS X 10.6.6?
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Try selecting the Line In option after you have plugged the Mic into your Mac. That probably won't work. If it doesn't here.'s why:

The port on your Mac is expecting line level voltage which is a bit higher than the mic generates. This is true even thout the connections are the right size. You need a mic preamplifier or something like the Griffin Technologies iMic.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
michael180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
Try selecting the Line In option after you have plugged the Mic into your Mac. That probably won't work. If it doesn't here.'s why:

The port on your Mac is expecting line level voltage which is a bit higher than the mic generates. This is true even thout the connections are the right size. You need a mic preamplifier or something like the Griffin Technologies iMic.
I'm getting a USB mic. I hope that will show up.

Thanks for your help . . .
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

You're welcome. The USB mic should work. I've used one several times with my MacBook Pro (2008). the one advantage that I see of using a mixing board or audio interface instead of direct connection is control. I find it easier to make fine adjustment in the inputt level when using a mixer rather than in software.

QUOTE Thanks
michael180

Quote:
You're welcome. The USB mic should work. I've used one several times with my MacBook Pro (2008). the one advantage that I see of using a mixing board or audio interface instead of direct connection is control. I find it easier to make fine adjustment in the inputt level when using a mixer rather than in software.
How expensive is a mixing board? And what other components would I need?
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Depending upon what you need mixers can be found for as little as $50.00 but van cost hundreds or thousands. I bought either this model or its predecessor from a friend to do some podcasting. Behringer Xenyx 502 Mixer I am currently running a Heil Sound PR-40 Microphone through the board. My board plugs into the Line In port on my Mac but there are USB and Firewire interfaces available as well.

I have used a USB mic plugged directly into my MacBook Pro via USB. I don't have the exact model number in hand at the moment but I think it is a variation of this one MXL MXL 990s Condenser Microphone and more Condenser Microphones at GuitarCenter.com. I am far from an expert at this. There are many options out there so do some homework before purchasing. Perhaps one of the audio gurus here will chine in with additional information.

QUOTE Thanks
michael180

Quote:
Depending upon what you need mixers can be found for as little as $50.00 but van cost hundreds or thousands. I bought either this model or its predecessor from a friend to do some podcasting. Behringer Xenyx 502 Mixer I am currently running a Heil Sound PR-40 Microphone through the board. My board plugs into the Line In port on my Mac but there are USB and Firewire interfaces available as well.

I have used a USB mic plugged directly into my MacBook Pro via USB. I don't have the exact model number in hand at the moment but I think it is a variation of this one MXL MXL 990s Condenser Microphone and more Condenser Microphones at GuitarCenter.com. I am far from an expert at this. There are many options out there so do some homework before purchasing. Perhaps one of the audio gurus here will chine in with additional information.
Thank you for the good advice . . .
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

You're welcome. Hope that was helpful.

BTW here is the link to the USB mic I was using without a mixer. MXL 990 USB Powered Condenser Microphone . I liked it quite a lot but found myself having difficulty keeping a consistent distance from the mic. I also found that because of my crowded desk it sometimes picked up noises I did not want in the recording, I think it would have been fine on a boom or in slightly larger stand with a shock mount. I bought the PR 40, mixer and board from a buddy because he gave me one heck of a deal.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« DVD to MOV? | Mini DB80S digital camera software »