New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

A 'Region' issue?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

RadioSaigon

RadioSaigon will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2010 MBP 15" i7, 2.66 GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OS-X 10.7.2; iPhone4 iOS 5.0

Whilst having a clean-out the other day, I rediscovered a (legal) DVD I purchased from the US a few years ago. I'm sure when I ordered it, I ordered the copy appropriate to AUS, but I've never been able to play it, so suspect I may have been supplied a US-region copy. It's sat on the shelf for quite some time collecting dust...

I popped it into my MBP this evening to see if it would play for me. Alas, the drive spun (at a very slow speed) briefly, then just spat the disc out. So I put it back in and had a look with both Finder and Total Finder, but apparently the disc is not even recognised before it gets spat out.

A web-search revealed VLC may be the answer, so started that, popped the disc back in -but same result.

It's a movie I've been looking forward to seeing for a long time, since it had such rave industry (aviation) reviews, entitled One Six Right. Since the disc has never been played, it's physically in pristine condition.

I would really appreciate any advice anyone could offer that may allow me to view the movie!

Keep it Straight with Rudder
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

VLC doesn't always work to play a "non-region" DVD. The DVD you purchased is as you say probably coded for the US-Canada and your optical drive firmware is looking for Australia.

What you can do is switch regions in order for your optical drive to play the DVD. Or do like many folks do who have large collections of DVDs from other regions. Keep an external drive handy which is coded to play using the other region code. I know it's a pain but then so is the whole region thing.

What I don't understand is why the DVD ejected from your optical drive. It should not have done so. You might want to blow some compressed air in the drive to make sure that dust is not obscuring the lens.
QUOTE Thanks
RadioSaigon

Mac Specs: 2010 MBP 15" i7, 2.66 GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OS-X 10.7.2; iPhone4 iOS 5.0

Thanks for the advice chscag. I'll give that a go... just one more nubbin question, for this topic anyways: how do I switch regions?

The disc spitting out like it does causes me some pause also. I know it shouldn't do that and in fact, any other DVD's I pop in the drive are fine; no problem at all. It's just this one that gets spat back. Hence the note re the physical condition of the disc.

QUOTE Thanks
RadioSaigon

Interesting...

I still have my old Win7 PC here too -1st time I've started the thing in months (took over an our to get it going!!! But that's a whole other story) and it won't read the DVD either! All it tells me is there is no disc in the drive! Seems my problem may be with the way the DVD is written. Off I go back to the 'net to see if I can find the original supplier and discuss the issue with them!

QUOTE Thanks
McYukon

McYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9

When you open the DVD Player with DVD that has a different region code a window should open asking you to switch the region. Careful though, this can only be done 5 times.

Not sure about the spitting out issue either, my brothers MBP did this awhile too with one self burned disk.
We stuck a cleaning DVD in and let it run awhile, and did a DVD Firmware update that was in Software Update. It read the disk after that, but it still took forever in mounting it.

Use the reputation system if a post helps you!
Mac Forums IRC Channel - Help build it by hanging out with us
The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.
QUOTE Thanks
RadioSaigon

Thanks McYukon. Unfortunately, I'm not getting even that far -the disc simply won't mount -in either OS-X on my MBP or Win7 on my old PC.

I'm currently chasing down a resolution with the original supplier, which appears to be Sporty's in the US.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Huge problems with iMovie and iDVD | Why should I get a Mac for my video editing? »