New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

HDMI help !!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

webbedtoes

webbedtoes is on a distinguished road

i have a 1080i polaroid 46"
I have a macbook
I have all appropriate chords
The screen goes black on tv when screen loads on macbook goes blue so i know they are talking but nothing happens when the picture comes back on the mac. the polaroid screen stays black. please tell me this is not an issue that polaroid didnt tackle before putting out all these tvs...
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Can't tell you that - got rid of my Polaroid before I got my first Mac.
It worked with Windows, but did not work with Linux over HDMI - maybe 4-5 yrs ago.

Open up System Preferences - Displays - try the Detect external display button.
If it's detecting it, but no picture, play with the resolutions of the LCD to see if you can find one it will accept.

I'd probably start off trying a 720p setting and also try switching back and forth between mirrored and extended desktop mode on the appearance tab.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
gmaust6

gmaust6 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Book Pro, Ipod Touch, Classic, Nano, Shuffle

I have dual monitors on my macbook pro and i orginally had trouble too with the HDMI set up -
i would do what bobtomay said to do- test around certain variable like the resolution on both the comp and the tv, if it doesnt' work on the lowest settings then the TV just isnt accepting the fact that TV's are the new monitors LOL
good luck with that though im suprised its not working

ps-since the TV is only 1080i -> try lowering the resolution from the Display settings menu in System settings when you first plug in the HDMI adapter.. this screen should pop up anyway but it could be that the comp wants to put video out in 1080p and the tv wants it in 1080i.... idk, thats just a ignant guess...

QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

This could also be an HDMI Handshake issue of course, like I had with the ATV 2 and my Hitachi Plasma.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevriano View Post
This could also be an HDMI Handshake issue of course, like I had with the ATV 2 and my Hitachi Plasma.
Yep, could be, why I wouldn't guarantee it.

This is the first time I've heard of Hitachi having this issue though.
Does the Hitachi work with your Mac via HDMI or is it just the ATV?

QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
Yep, could be, why I wouldn't guarantee it.

This is the first time I've heard of Hitachi having this issue though.
Does the Hitachi work with your Mac via HDMI or is it just the ATV?
I haven't tried actually.
Apple said that the main issue with the ATV, was that HDCP compliance standards have changed, and all new equipment meets the new standard, but as yet is not backward compatible with the old, though it should be. I would imagine that the very same applies really.

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevriano View Post
I haven't tried actually.
Apple said that the main issue with the ATV, was that HDCP compliance standards have changed, and all new equipment meets the new standard, but as yet is not backward compatible with the old, though it should be. I would imagine that the very same applies really.
Man, that's a crock. Have enough DRM already, and so now even if you buy a HDCP compatible device there's no assurance that it is HDCP compatible. How about the movie houses stick it to us some more?

If that's really the issue with the Hitachi, you might check the Hitachi site and see if they have a firmware update available. Got rid of my last Hitachi a year or two ago, but I think it had a USB port available for this.

QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Sadly my Hitachi pre dates USB connectivity. I will check, but I'm pretty sure it's set as is, sadly.
The Mrs won't wear me upgrading either, and to be honest, the picture is great and I'm reluctant.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Streaming Live Feed from Mac to Xbox 360 | Stretching When Exporting »