New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Convert mkv to mp4/dvd/avi with no changes to subs

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mundane bob

mundane bob is on a distinguished road

With the least quality loss possible and no changes to subtitles?

So far, I've been using Mkvtools to convert my MKV's and it does it really good. But the problem is, is that it redoes all the subtitles into the specified font and all the subs and up down at the bottom of the screen. The result - whenever there is a translation of a sign, or subs that are meant to be on top, etc, it ends up as a huge block of text at the bottom. It is an eyesore and the stylized subs look so much better :/

Is there any to way to convert the mkv and hardsub the subtitles with no changes so that I can watch it on my TV? Right now, I'm trying to export via quicktime but it has already been 10 minutes and there has been no progress at all . The file I'm trying to convert is a H.264 720p Mkv that is 4.72 Gb big with SSA subs.

soz i'm a nub what's the difference between burning the subs and muxing it? Btw, Toast hangs when I drag an mkv onto it :/
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Handbrake.
You can convert from MKV to MP4 and tick the subs box to keep them as they are. You can choose the font it uses too.
You don't really burn subs as such, they are always muxed into the file, which is why they are removable.
You could in fact, demux the subs from your converted file and get a set of .srt subs to remux in. .srt are generally better in my experience.
Loads of places to get them.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
mundane bob

will the subs stay in the same position? and will they be in same colour, size etc?
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Yes they stay at the bottom where they should be. As for the size and colour it depends on the font used by the sub set you get.They are nearly always white though.
Some can be horrid, but most have a sample you can look at, or you can change it to one you like.

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
mundane bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevriano View Post
Yes they stay at the bottom where they should be.
eh...that's my problem. I don't want them all to be on the bottom. Like, there are animes where the subber will add notes on the top of the screen or translate a sign or something which they also put at the top of the screen, etc. If everything goes on the bottom, whenever subs that is supposed to be on the top appears in combination with the ones in the bottom, it makes a huge wall of text that covers half the screen

Here's an example:

Imagine something like this every 30 seconds - it ruins the whole experience :/ and when the subber doesn't put "Note:" or whatever at the beginning it becomes really hard to decipher whats dialogue and whats not, especially in real time
QUOTE Thanks
mundane bob

oops should've resized the image :/ oh well.

EDIT: ended up shrinking it
QUOTE Thanks
mundane bob

Just to let you guys know, this is how its supposed to look like

QUOTE Thanks
mundane bob

I'm really considering screenflowing it xD
QUOTE Thanks
mundane bob

Really? Nobody knows? Is it really impossible? Dx farrout mkv causes nothing but trouble... :/
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

I've never tried doing subs the way you show, I always have them at the bottom.

QUOTE Thanks
XicoXperto

XicoXperto is on a distinguished road

Hi there,
Im searching for the same, did you found anything?
This would really help...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Effect in Final Cut Express 4 won't work | Popcorn 4 »