New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

DVD Region Code Issues

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

anyonecangetit

anyonecangetit is on a distinguished road

Hello.

i bought a mac from the US, and am currently living in japan. The DVD region codes are different, and, therefor, do not work together.
I have several japanese (region 2 coded) DVDs that I cant seem to find a way to play.
I've researched and experimented a bit, finding out about the hardware (these rpc2 drives apparently are gay), mactheripper and other programs that most say "should work", etc...nothing really works. Can't rip/copy/decrypt with any program i've tried...VLC don't work...
I'm thinking its the whole "RPC2 drive" thing. Is this the case? are there any of you who've found a workaround? or is my only real option an external drive?
Any timely responses will be greatly appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
DaFlake

DaFlake has a spectacular aura about

Most DVD players will allow you to change the region a few times before becoming permanent. I don't think you are going to find a work around for it. I know that I had this problem while living in Germany.
QUOTE Thanks
MightyGem

MightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. White MacBook, 10.8.5. iPhone 3GS.

If you play them on your Mac using DVD Player, it should recognise the different code and ask if you want to change DVD Player's code setting. You can change the code 5 times only. After the 5th change, it's set permanent.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Both on 10.9.2 ~ iPhone5 iOS 7.1 ~ iPad Mini 7.1 ~ ATV2 6.0.1

Disregard

Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
"Can't innovate any more, my ***" Phil Schiller
QUOTE Thanks
DkInOZ

DkInOZ is on a distinguished road

I have a US iMac in Australia, and I had the same problem. I've been using VLC, a free player, instead of iDVD. It seems to happily ignore any region encoding, and works pretty well. VideoLAN - VLC media player for Mac OS X
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Big Problem! Need help ASAP | 1080p home video to an iPhone 4 converting bitrate??? »