New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Accidentally wiped external hard drive? Please help!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tequilathecat

tequilathecat is on a distinguished road

Hi everyone,

Have been using a WD external hard drive to edit with FCP on my mac book.

Today my completely un-techy boyfriend was trying to import some footage into i-movie on his mac book but found his system disc was full. As I was in a hurry to get to work I just lent him my hard drive rather than help him work out what to delete. Now I have come back from work and it is EMPTY!!! It says it was last modified at 09:26 am so I don't think he actually did anything to erase it after I left.

Has it re-formatted because it was connected to a different computer?

Is there any way to get the data back? Any idiot's guide step by step advice would be sooooooo gratefully appreciated!

Thanks very much.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Just connecting an external HD to another computer shouldn't cause it to be formatted..you might want to get some details on what exactly he did (which commands/programs) he ran in association with the drive so we can properly see how badly you're going to be hurting while recovering the data..

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
tequilathecat

He was just running i-movie, and other apps like safari, word and mail were open.

He can't really think what else he could have done. Would it have been because the computer went to sleep while it was connected?
QUOTE Thanks
tequilathecat

He imported a few chunks of footage into i-movie then did "export as movie" to the hard drive in a new folder I had set up this morning. Then he left it and went out and when he got back it was gone... He doesn't know what he could have done so I can only think it must have been a slip of the finger??!!
QUOTE Thanks
Strukt

Strukt will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: rMBP 15" / 2.6GHz / 16GB / 512GB

Maybe he accidentally moved some folders to another place on the drive. Have you browsed through the drive (via finder) and really checked if the files are gone?

My Blog: Apple Laptops
QUOTE Thanks
tequilathecat

I'm pretty sure the drive is completely empty. There's nothing at all coming up in finder.

When I left click on the drive and go to "get info" it says there is 48GB used on the drive. When I go to "Quick Look" it says there is 1.8TB available- the whole drive... Confusing!
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

A good reason for keeping others off your computer.
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

In this thread the person said they found some software to recover files. Perhaps check that out.

CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
*disclaimer: I don't know your boyfriend and don't mean to cast aspersions on his character -- but I know men and their fear of punishment.
roflol

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
tequilathecat

Chas I actually think you are probably right!!!! That is just what I suspected. It's frustrating he either doesn't know or won't admit what he's done... Does make me laugh though, and fortunately everything on there was projects I had edited for him anyway.

I ran Grand Perspective but it is saying 0B. Maybe I'm almost as un-techy as I accused him of being. hmmmph.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« problem with data DVD? | Forever lost? »