New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Monitor that matches the Apple Cinema display

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jrod81

jrod81 is on a distinguished road

what is the closest monitor w/o having to spend the apple price??? using it with a mbp and with final cut pro
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

This is about as close as you'll come I believe......

UltraSharp U2711 69cm (27?W) Monitor with PremierColor Details

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrplow View Post
This is about as close as you'll come I believe......

UltraSharp U2711 69cm (27?W) Monitor with PremierColor Details
Great suggestion...but unless you can find the Dell monitor on sale...the Dell monitor & Apple Cinema Display are both $999.

@OP: I totally understand how Apple monitors can be VERY expensive. Remember when shopping...that the 27" Apple Cinema display also has:

- a universal MagSafe connector that charges your notebook
- a Mini DisplayPort cable for easy connectivity
- three USB 2.0 ports
- a built-in iSight camera
- microphone
- 49-watt speaker system

$999 is a pretty "hefty" price tag...but you're not going to find many 27" monitors with an IPS panel, all of the features mentioned above, and a 2560-by-1440 resolution...for much less than $999.

The 27" Dell monitor & the 27" Apple monitor are pretty much the only players.

HTH,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
jrod81

hmm- lets reword this then... what is the best suggestion for an editing monitor around the $300-$400 mark- does it exist?
QUOTE Thanks
ukchucktown

ukchucktown has a spectacular aura about

If I had to pick my first choice is usually an NEC followed by a Samsung Syncmaster or Dell Ultrasharp model. Any one of them is a good choice. My general recommendation is go with IPS panels, they are the best. To keep it under $400 you need to stick with 23" models.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrod81 View Post
hmm- lets reword this then... what is the best suggestion for an editing monitor around the $300-$400 mark- does it exist?
Maybe I'm not familiar with the term "editing monitor"...so maybe you can explain what specifics that entails. But I'm assuming it's something to do with the best color accuracy or color reproduction. If so...like "ukchucktown" mentioned...definitely get a monitor with an IPS display panel.

Since not that many computer monitors are made with an IPS panel (more expensive)...this will narrow down the choices significantly.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
jrod81

thanks for the ips suggestion... i doubt "editing monitor" is a term, but i was using it to me just what you said- color accuracy for color correction editing/grading
QUOTE Thanks
jrod81

A Creative Pro's Guide to LCD Screens! - MacRumors Forums
QUOTE Thanks
jrod81

liking this one alot based on some other people's suggestions, but i am not real sure what type of adapter i will need for it:
Dell U2311H
or, basically the same monitor for a bit less money due to a bit less size:
Dell u2211h
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

For color accuracy film/video pros use very expensive & calibrated reference monitors.

CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

To the OP rule number one:-

Cheap does not equate with quality pure and simple. Buy the Apple display of your choice. You will consider anything else as second best and become more and more dissatisfied as time goes by.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
Cheap does not equate with quality pure and simple.
I with you Harry! If "quality & cheap" went together...then there would be no room for lower quality items (unless they were giving them away for free)!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Organizing Movies | Screen capture video/audio with Final Cut Express »