New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

ibook g4 help

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bingostudiolive

bingostudiolive is on a distinguished road

hey everyone,

i am new to macs, i have just purchased a 2nd hand ibook g4 to edit video, i need to edit alot of video for my job and cant really afford to splash out on a newer mac, as much as i would love to!!

i have garageband, iphoto etc etc but no imovie, i cant find any updates and i believe im going to have to buy software

does anyone have any recomendations, tips, etc etc and what would be the best to use on my ibook

many thanks everyone
kat
uk xx
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Can you post full specs of your iBook please, that way we can advise better.
Processor speed, ram etc are the important things to know.
Thanks.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
bingostudiolive

Model Name: iBook G4
Model Identifier: PowerBook6,5
Processor Name: PowerPC G4 (1.1)
Processor Speed: 1.07 GHz
Number Of CPUs: 1
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 1.25 GB
Bus Speed: 133 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 4.8.5f0
Serial Number (system): UV4238HVR73
Hardware UUID: 00000000-0000-1000-8000-000D9343A7AC

hope that is some help, please let me know if u need anything more
QUOTE Thanks
bingostudiolive

just recently purchased and installed this

1GB DDR 266MHz 200-PIN SODIMM IBOOK & POWERBOOK G4 RAM
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Ok, thanks.
You are going to be limited by the spec of the iBook, just because it's older of course, and despite it's decent spec, you will struggle with iMovie, even if you can find an early version (4,5 or maybe 6).
Now obviously I don't know the kind of thing you want to do when editing, but there is a free program that may be worth a try, it's free so no harm! It's called Quickmix>

QuickMix - Mac Free

Other than those options I guess we'd need to know more of what you want to do.
Hope that helps.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

As long as you are aware that:

a. That computer is, at minimum, almost seven years old.
b. Was the low end and least powerful model when it was new

My suggestion would be to locate a copy of iMovie 6 HD, max out the RAM (which you indicate you have done), use an external Firewire drive for your storage -- and I hope you are a patient soul.

I hope the opportunity to move up to a newer machine comes soon for you. Good luck.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Exporting HD movie from iMovie '11 for Apple TV | .VOB, .IFO, .BUP... but no video_ts »