New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

converting mpgs for use in iMovie

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dthorn75

dthorn75 is on a distinguished road

I have a handful of .mpg files I want to use in iMovie, but I don't know what software to use to convert them. was able to view them in MPlayer but that's all. thanks for any info!
QUOTE Thanks
McYukon

McYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9

You can use MPEG Streamclip to convert the .mpg files to a format iMovie supports like .mov
Squared 5 - MPEG Streamclip video converter for Mac and Windows

Use the reputation system if a post helps you!
Mac Forums IRC Channel - Help build it by hanging out with us
The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.
QUOTE Thanks
dthorn75

dthorn75 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for that! I began to use it but it requires me to download (and pay for) the mpeg-2 component from Apple Apple - QuickTime - Components before it will convert to .mov or .avi. I'm willing but the reviews on that Apple page are horrible!!! Wish I could get it done for free ...
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

You can use FFMpeg to do that conversion

You will have to download the ffmpegX application

ffmpegX Download | Software Category Audio & Multimedia - Video Tools

and also the mencoder and mplayer components as well

Download MPlayer OS X from SourceForge.net

When you open up ffmpegX it will ask you where the two components are (I usually put them in the same folder as ffmpegX)

You may have to tweak the resolution settings but you can bow convert MPEG2 to just about anything including MOV

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
alexmax021

alexmax021 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthorn75 View Post
I have a handful of .mpg files I want to use in iMovie, but I don't know what software to use to convert them. was able to view them in MPlayer but that's all. thanks for any info!
me too
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacBook Pro DVD app !! | iMovie help!! »