New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

window media audio/visual files will not play

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Jomo

Jomo is on a distinguished road

Hi,
I made 100's of videos using windows media encoder (screen captures). They all work fine on my PC but my MAC customers can only get audio, even though they can play other window media files. You can go to my website where one of these such files is located (Pre Algebra Videos by College Professor)
Any help in knowing how to get these videos working would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Jomo
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

They may have to install the free Flip4Mac plugin, but I am checking the file as we speak

For Windows Media up to version 9, install Flip4Mac

Windows Media Components for QuickTime - Microsoft Windows

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
clive12

clive12 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Imac 21.5 Inch 3.06 GHZ 4GB Ram 500 Gig HD, Ipad 32 GB, Iphone 4S 16 GB.

Tried it in VLC and its says "VLC doesnt support MM2 format there is no way to fix this"

I would imagine that because WMV files are Windows Media Video files that they may not be supported on Apple machines.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

It doesn't work, can you re-encode the wmv file in the wmv3 codec rather than MSS codec, then Flip4Mac can view it. Otherwise flash video would be a better option if you want a truly cross platform video

Download Windows Media Encoder 9 onto a PC (it's free).
2. Click on "Convert a File".
3. Locate your original file and name your new file.
4. Continue to follow the simple onscreen steps until your file has been saved.

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
clive12

clive12 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Imac 21.5 Inch 3.06 GHZ 4GB Ram 500 Gig HD, Ipad 32 GB, Iphone 4S 16 GB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by louishen View Post
It doesn't work, can you re-encode the wmv file in the wmv3 codec rather than MSS codec, then Flip4Mac can view it. Otherwise flash video would be a better option if you want a truly cross platform video

Download Windows Media Encoder 9 onto a PC (it's free).
2. Click on "Convert a File".
3. Locate your original file and name your new file.
4. Continue to follow the simple onscreen steps until your file has been saved.
User has 100s of videos so they would need one that does mass conversion. Not sure if this would work:-

MPEG StreamClip can do batches, and has quite a few formats.

If not Google "Mass Video Converter"

It might be worth trying one first to see if it works before converting lots of files.

Perhaps its better to convert to AVI and then that will definately work on Windows and Mac.
QUOTE Thanks
Jomo

Are you suggesting that I re-encode the wmv file in the wmv3 codec using WME? If so, well I do not see that option in WME.
Which flash video do you recommend?
Thanks for your time.
Jomo
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

I would suggest what Clive12 said. Try converting one file using MPEG StreamClip to the standard windows media 9 format, or better AVI (but if you go the AVI route, use the H264 codec), and send a test file to both mac and windows users

Squared 5 - MPEG Streamclip video converter for Mac and Windows

Once you get the right file (test AVI with the H264 codec and mp3 audio) then MPEG StreamClip can do batch conversions.

I suppose while WME sounds like a good idea, with more and more people using macs its proprietary MIcrosoft only codec makes it a poor choice if you want an open standard that is cross platform

Anyhow, MPEG StreamClip is free so give it a go

QUOTE Thanks
Jomo

Hi,
I tried MPEG StreamClip but it didn't recognize my wmv files. What is so different about my files??!! Any other ideas?
Jomo
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Jomo: what is different about your files is that they use a particular codec that has never been translated to anything else. Not Linux, not Mac, nothing.

There are (literally) hundreds of codecs, and about three of them just don't work on anything but Windows. And you happen to have chosen one of those.

Re-encode the files to a more standard format, then Macs and PCs and anyone else will be able to see and hear them.
QUOTE Thanks
liamblack

liamblack is on a distinguished road

Whenever I can I tend to encode the audio in mp3, but sometimes it won't be compatible with the container, especially the windows ones are picky, .flv would be web capable too, thats the advantage there, if you put the content online.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« No music recognition in I movie 11 | iMovie opening iPhoto »