New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Embedding subtitles to an avi

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jak1437

jak1437 is on a distinguished road

What do I need to do this? I want to be able to watch something in a foreign language, but I need the subtitles to actually be part of the video. I've scoured the net for answers, it's a difficult plight, but I may be stupid. Any free programs I could use to achieve this amazing feat?
QUOTE Thanks
McYukon

McYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9

VLC can display subtitles, just put the subtitles file and the movie file into the same folder and VLC can display them if you turn them on in Video>Subtitles Track
VideoLAN - VLC media player - Open Source Multimedia Framework and Player

Is this what your looking for?

Use the reputation system if a post helps you!
Mac Forums IRC Channel - Help build it by hanging out with us
The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.
QUOTE Thanks
jak1437

I have VLC already, I need to have them be an actual part of the video file, embedded onto it, so if I use it on a device that doesn't read subtitles I still have them.
QUOTE Thanks
McYukon

McYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9

Okay have a look at these two, you can also find others by following the "Other People Suggest" links.

Download Submerge for Mac - Make subtitled movies for your Mac, mp3 player, cellphone, game console. MacUpdate Mac Software Downloads
Download iSubtitle for Mac - Soft subtitled movies for your Apple gear. MacUpdate Mac Software Downloads

QUOTE Thanks
jak1437

I've tried both of those, you have to register them or else it takes out every other subtitles to remind you that you're mean for not paying.
QUOTE Thanks
McYukon

Yeah, I think your going to have a hard time finding something that it free, but I'll take a look around on the open source sites and see if I can find something.

QUOTE Thanks
McYukon

Aha, I may have found it,
ffmpegX a DVD, SVCD, VCD, CVD, VOB, DivX, XviD, H.264, PSP, iPod, MP4, MOV, FLV encoder for Mac OSX
It looks a bit imitating but there are step-by-steps available.
How to burn subtitles to a movie on a Mac | OnSoftware

QUOTE Thanks
Tarek

Tarek has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5

I know this is a pretty old thread, but I was Googling for an answer and I stumbled upon this great thread. Thank you, McYukon, for your marvelous suggestion. Worked like a charm!
QUOTE Thanks
McYukon

Your welcome!

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Quicktime Pro / MP4 codec Problem | slide show videos using with a Mac »