New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Converting WMV Files!!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

skierman

skierman is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13" 2.66 ghz

Alright. So im a new Macbook user and i have tons of raw video clips (WMV Format) imported on my PC that i want to edit on my mac. What i want to know is what would be the best format to convert these to. And what is the best way to do this/what program should i use? <-- freeware preferably.

I have searched the internet and this forum and have surprisingly not found clear answers for these questions. help would be more than appreciated.
Thanks!

LOLOLOLOLOLOL!
QUOTE Thanks
brairden

brairden has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2 iMacs, 1 MBP, 1 UMB, 1 mini

Need a little more information on your clips before we can offer a suggestion. You say it is raw video, so if that means these are captures from a camcorder, we need to know what settings you used to record the footage. (Is it HD or SD, interlaced or progressive, frame rate, bit rate?) etc., etc. If you don't know, tell us what kind of camcorder you have and what your settings are on the camera, then we will probably be able to help you.

15" 2.53ghz i5 MacBook Pro (2010) 8gb, 500gb HD - 60gb OWC SSD
13" 2.4ghz MacBook Unibody (late 2008) 4gb, 250gb
24" 2.4ghz Aluminum iMac (mid 2007) 3gb, 1tb
mini 2.0ghz - 32gb iPhone 4
QUOTE Thanks
skierman

ok its sony handy cam nothing fancy. its just filmed in standard deff.

LOLOLOLOLOLOL!
QUOTE Thanks
skierman

c'mon nobody has an answer to this?

LOLOLOLOLOLOL!
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

1 word

HandBrake should help you out. Is the Mac video free converting .app that a lot of people use

Cheers

EDIT : your mac comes with iMovie(iMovie Supported video formats) as well and that is good to edit movies, OR Quicktime 10 is good as well, but not sure if your OS can handle QT10 as you dont say what OS you are running

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
skierman

thanks. as for the editing no worrries there ive got what i need and more haha.

LOLOLOLOLOLOL!
QUOTE Thanks
skierman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
1 word

HandBrake should help you out. Is the Mac video free converting .app that a lot of people use

Cheers

EDIT : your mac comes with iMovie(iMovie Supported video formats) as well and that is good to edit movies, OR Quicktime 10 is good as well, but not sure if your OS can handle QT10 as you dont say what OS you are running
oh yeah and handbrake wont work. not even letting me import the WMV... starting to get really frustrated with my mac right now.

LOLOLOLOLOLOL!
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Woooo Settle petal Its only a glitch atm no need to get frustrated as we will come up with a solution for you.
Having trouble finding a .wmv file so i can try this out....

Hmmm My bad seems your right and it wont Sorry dude to take up your time.

Ill do some more looking around for you, as i know i have had .wvm before and have used SOMETHING to convert them ?? QT im thinking but ill be back

Cheers

Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

BUT to help you a little start with downloading Perian and Flip4Mac both help to watch .wvm on a Mac. Still looking around for you though

Cheers

EDIT : Download those last to links i give you, then open the video in QT, then do a Save As and save the file as a .mov file then try to do the editing ??? Just trying things here until i find a solution

QUOTE Thanks
skierman

okay thank you. every program i download to convert these files when want to import them it says source invalid, or something similar. my computer seeems to be totally rejecting/hating on these files except that VLC plays the audio...?

LOLOLOLOLOLOL!
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Pretty sure you can do this using Mplayer and some codecs.

MPlayer - The Movie Player

Download codec to convert RM, RMVB, WMV on Mac

All free, so worth a try.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by skierman View Post
except that VLC plays the audio...?
It should play the video as well .... But dl Perian and Flip4Mac

But ole' mate Kev has come through for you, as he is a bit more savvy on video than me lol

Cheers

QUOTE Thanks
skierman

thanks alot for the help guys. and yeah VLC definitely isn't playing the video.

LOLOLOLOLOLOL!
QUOTE Thanks
skierman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
It should play the video as well .... But dl Perian and Flip4Mac

But ole' mate Kev has come through for you, as he is a bit more savvy on video than me lol

Cheers
ok so heres my problem to date. I downloaded flip4mac, mpeg stream clip and all other listed in this thread. but every time i want to add the file i want to convert to the program it say : unsupported file type or another similar message. why?? is there something wrong with my WMV files?

LOLOLOLOLOLOL!
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

Well after dl Perian and Flip4mac can you play them in Quicktime ?? Let start there !!!!

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMovie 09 no timecode displayed? | Separate import destination for iMovie? »