New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Mass Converting of Video Files

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dups12345

dups12345 is on a distinguished road

I have A LOT of video files on my mac and I have recently purchased a program for my iPad called AirVideo which allows me to stream these files to my iPad whereever I am. While it can convert the files to MP4 (its best format) this does not give me the instant fix I want from the program.

I was wondering if there was a way I could set my mac up to go through and convert all my video files to MP4 without me having to do each one at a time? and also if I will loose any quality by doing this.
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Yes, as Chas hinted there, Handbrake, but can you let us know what the original format is please.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.5-MacMini3,1:10.9.5-iPhone6,1:8.1

Go to the Handbrake forum...

HandBrake &bull; Index page

There are many posts regarding making videos very small in size, and conversely, making them very large with excellent quality. The parameters for conversion within Handbrake are all changeable by the user, or you can use the built in presets. After you tinker around and find a combination that works well for your mission, you can save that as a new profile and use it each subsequent time without manually setting each parameter. The forum posts have many suggestions for adapting the setting to meet whatever your playback needs happen to be.
To your original question, Handbrake allows you to select files to convert and the target directory to send them to. Along the top if it's GUI there is an option to "Add to queue" as well as "Start". Simply go through and select each item to convert and name it whatever you want, and then hit "Add to queue". I've run a queue of 50 or 60 overnight on my Mini before with no issues. After adding them all to the queue just hit "Start" and they will convert one after the other until complete. If you are running 10.6 remember to install VLC Player 64-Bit as well as the 64-Bit version of Handbrake - it seems to run noticeably faster than the 32-Bit versions. VLC Player is required to be installed and opened at least once before running Handbrake. 64-Bit Handbrake requires 64-Bit VLC to run and 32-Bit Handbrake requires 32-Bit VLC to run.

Good luck!

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Why aren't you just using the live streaming option in AirVideo instead of converting each file before watching?

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Stills image size | Exporting in Final Cut Express »